• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Philly Derringers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone own a Philadelphia Derringer?
74-C8513-B-D3-A7-4-AAB-AA0-E-7-ED2-CBC9829-E.webp

If so, are they fun to shoot? Trying to decide if I want one to mess around with in the woods. Thoughts?
"Deringer" brand pistols made in Philadelphia were the original derringers. They made a very good quality muzzloading pistol in a variety of calibers and lengths. The small pocket pistol in the photo was the type of pistol used to assassinate Abraham Lincoln.
What did the company in was their lack of progress. They were still making those pistols when very nice cartridge revolvers were available. As far as usefulness as a sporting pistol? It is limited but it's an excellent curiosity and does have a solid place in history.

So Smokey, have you decided you need to add one to the collection? I’d get one if I found it for a really cheap price but then I’m a sucker for any muzzleloader for a really cheap price as attested to by the 50 TC Renegade that came home with me last week. Price was just too low to pass up.

Yes and he had a brace of them. Seems that was more common than originally thought, that folks carrying them carried more than one.

LD
There is no evidence the Booth had two Deringers. They were sold in pairs but where the other one is remains a mystery. I shoot one that is a remarkably good copy and have done much research on the matter for years.
Using 20 grs of 3F it will shoot through a pineapple easily.

So Smokey, have you decided you need to add one to the collection? I’d get one if I found it for a really cheap price but then I’m a sucker for any muzzleloader for a really cheap price as attested to by the 50 TC Renegade that came home with me last week. Price was just too low to pass up.

I’d like to pick up a Pedersoli copy, but it’s rather expensive for what it is so still on the fence. The Traditions/CVA/Ardessas are much more affordable, but are very large and aren’t the best replica of the originals. The Pedersoli is much better in this regard. But the cheapest I’ve been able to find one for is just south of $500 and that’s nearly halfway to a Kibler kit.

I’d like to pick up a Pedersoli copy, but it’s rather expensive for what it is so still on the fence. The Traditions/CVA/Ardessas are much more affordable, but are very large and aren’t the best replica of the originals. The Pedersoli is much better in this regard. But the cheapest I’ve been able to find one for is just south of $500 and that’s nearly halfway to a Kibler kit.
Like I said previously, owned both Pedersoli and CVA examples and both shot about the same. Up close, the Pedersoli is definitely better done, but not worth the extra money unless you just have to have it. At 10 feet doubt anyone could tell the which you were holding in your hand.

I have one, its a wall hanger now, but I used to shoot it, and when I lived in Utah, I carried it when I went to places where Firearms were not allowed. muzzleloaders are not considered firearms there, and it is better than a knife.

View attachment 138430
I rely like the art work on the rear!. a nice touch.

Like I said previously, owned both Pedersoli and CVA examples and both shot about the same. Up close, the Pedersoli is definitely better done, but not worth the extra money unless you just have to have it. At 10 feet doubt anyone could tell the which you were holding in your hand.
well, remember you get what you pay for?! as JOHN ARBUCKLE famous coffee merchant once said!

A CVA version was my first muzzleloader and it was fun to shoot and you could actually hit something with it. I recall the mainspring being kind of weak but I would just pull the hammer all the way back and let 'er go.

The inset wood pieces, which I figure are repairs, really look nice! They dress up a standard stock to something much more interesting! Nice work!
Most were to repair damage or misdrilled holes.
I found the main parts in a box of stuff from my late father in law.
I also had to flute the barrel because of half sanded off roll stamps.
I almost tossed it. I posted it a number of months back as it was progressing
Fun project.
Thanks for the compliment.

Attachments

• 20210425_174229.jpg
    20210425_174229.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220129_081313.jpg
    20220129_081313.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 47
I LOVE it! Those different colors really add a lot to a simple stock!
Even the grain in the plugs is indexed! That's a good eye and even better craftsmanship!
Thanks for the photos.
Brazos
You bet.
I actually just pulled out this Miroku 45 long rifle kit that I started over 30 years ago. On to the next project.
I think I still have 6-7 kits to finish

Attachments

• 20220509_190004.jpg
    20220509_190004.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 30
Wow! You're taking the wood inserts to another level!
I wonder if there are historical examples of that type of woodworking. It almost looks like an American Indian style, and I wonder if they did work like that. Makes me think of southwestern areas, NM or AZ maybe.
And, if this took you 30 years, no matter how nice, you better get after it with those other kits!
Again, beautiful work.

Back