• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perkins double barrel perc shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzkat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across this perc shotgun. Can anyone tell me whether these were quality guns and when they were made? Barrel is marked "fine laminated steel"
000_1952.jpg

000_1955.jpg

000_1953.jpg

000_1954.jpg

The gun has the apperence that it might be English. The fact that it has vent holes tells me it is one of the better built guns. .Several Perkins practicing their trade here in the states but at the wrong times this gun would have been made.
I looked and found another Perkins (no initials) London England 1837-41. Take the gun apart and look on the barrel flats if not on the breech itself for proof marks.
Please let us know what you find.
It looks like a fine gun.. I have a John Manton and son with the same features as the Perkins
Twice

Ps. Here's a picture of my Manton . Very similar in style as the Perkins.

BPImages007.jpg

Twice, The man I bought it from said it was English. How does it come apart? Could I damage
the wood taking it apart because I believe it was made in 1840s?

1840'sh sound about right . To take it apart put the hammers at half cock. Now move to the forarm. See the little wedge ,that's what keeps the barrels in the stock. Push inwards on the wedge from the right side of the gun. You may need to push it with a key or a coin to dislodge it.
The only thing that concerns me is the word laminated. Too early for laminated steel to appear on the barrels. The barrels on a gun of that period should be wire stub, as in spiral...
Twice

That worked very easily. Here are the proof marks. I can't interpret them. There are some
English looking hallmarks and the # 12, so at least I know it's a 12 gauge for sure.
Proofmarks1.jpg

Proofmarks2.jpg

Ok. The gun has Birmingham proof marks,(English)

That's is not a complete indication that the shotgun was made in Birmingham--The London makers always demanded higher prices for their guns--it is possible that the gun was made in London and proofed in Birmingham. If the London proof house was over loaded the London makers would ship their shotguns to Birmingham to be proved.

Ok, we are good to go on that. I do have a concern. Look close on the barrel on the side where the wedge is inserted. The rust there does not look good to me at all. I also see a gob of solder ,if so, it's an indication the rib was loose at one time and more likely than not water got under the rib. Please check the gun out before you shoot it. Check to make sure the barrel is not rusting through in the location where the rust is.

Twice.

I pulled it back apart and examined. What you were seeing was an accumulation of mostly dirt.
I wiped it right off with WD40. The lug is
original weld with no sign of being reworked.
Confident it's not a problem. Thanks for the
heads up. I took a couple pictures after. Here they are. Thanks
BarrelPerkins1.jpg

BarrelPerkins2.jpg

Hope to meet you there. You post alot of good
information and obviously are very knowledgeable
about old rifles. There is a picture of me under
the photo forum holding a Shreckengost rifle and
the topic is The families most famous gun. You'll
be able to introduce yourself then. Looking forward to the show.

I'm glad it was not what I thought it might be. Gald I was able to help . Enjoy the show.
Twice.

Thanks again. Can you tell me what each of the proof marks means. Obviously 12 is the gauge,
which one indicates Birmingham and what do the remaining 3 marks mean? I know on old Jewelry you had the makers mark, the lion passant, the date stamp, but I don't know about English gun marks. I assume proof means the barrel was tested
and marked as passing the test.

suzkat said:
Thanks again. Can you tell me what each of the proof marks means. Obviously 12 is the gauge,
which one indicates Birmingham and what do the remaining 3 marks mean? I know on old Jewelry you had the makers mark, the lion passant, the date stamp, but I don't know about English gun marks. I assume proof means the barrel was tested
and marked as passing the test.

From the picture and my poor eye the only proof mark I can make heads or tails from is the one on the breech plugs. It’s a Birmingham 1868 -1925 definitive proof mark for black powder shotguns.
Not much help I know.
Twice.

That's the best info I've gotten. Here is what I see under a magnifier. Each barrel has two markings of what appears as crossed swords, one has small marks between the swords that look like a heart and something else. The other crossed swords has a triangular flag symbol between the swords. Each barrel then has what appears as a gloved hand with a J (or number 8) between the
blades. Do you
think it would be appropriate to take that gun to
the 18th Century Artisans show being held in Lewisburg tomorrow or are those folks interested in rifles and 1700s items only.

.What you should be seeing between what appears to be swards .Is a B P C with a crown on top.
Yes it would be a very good idea as there will be many more knowledgeable people there than I . They will be glad to help you ,I'm sure. I like to hear what they have to say.
Twice

Oops yes. I forgot to mention the crown is there.

Keep you posted. Thanks again.

I want to take it out for spring gobbler season.
Need to check it closely first.

Latest posts

Back