• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perkins double barrel perc shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I would check her out real good and remotely fire it with heavy service loads several times before even thinking of shouldering it. I do this with almost all my original guns before using them and still have all my fingers for now, but I understand that one might let go someday even after all my careful inspection and testing, just be careful and look for anything unusual between shots.

Here's just an observation from the real top of the world :wink:
Back in the 1950s when we were all using original guns a friend got a very nice original English double gun. There was a minor amount of rust but the gun cleaned up very well with about 70% or more original finish etc.
It was test fired both barrels a few times and then loaded in both barrels at once and fired a couple of times and then both charges went off at once but the left hand hammer was still on fullcock and the cap had disappeared.
Suspecting that something was wrong he loaded with blank charges and both went off together.

Investigation with water revealed that there was a hole between the barrels where they had rusted through.
When he pulled the barrels apart there were pin-holes between the chamber sections of the barrels.

So you can't be too careful.

Back