• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Perfect revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Gus,
I don't suppose you have a picture of the Kerr revolver do you?
You will be aware that earlier Adams and Tranters had less rake than some of the later models.
I had a Fourth model Tranter with plenty of rake to feel perfect to me, as does my present Tranter/Adams Kerr I now own.
The models with less rake feel really awkward to me!

All the best for the New Year Gus!

Richard.

BTW,
If I had photographs, I would have shown in detail the workings of the Double trigger Tranter.
It sounds finicky, but when I tried it is it plain foolproof and as fast as greased lighting if it needs to be!
You will also be aware a large proportion of Tranter revolvers were made with an integral frame and barrel. One piece construction.

Good evening Gus,
I don't suppose you have a picture of the Kerr revolver do you?
You will be aware that earlier Adams and Tranters had less rake than some of the later models.
I had a Fourth model Tranter with plenty of rake to feel perfect to me, as does my present Tranter/Adams Kerr I now own.
The models with less rake feel really awkward to me!

All the best for the New Year Gus!

Richard.

BTW,
If I had photographs, I would have shown in detail the workings of the Double trigger Tranter.
It sounds finicky, but when I tried it is it plain foolproof and as fast as greased lighting if it needs to be!
You will also be aware a large proportion of Tranter revolvers were made with an integral frame and barrel. One piece construction.
Hi Richard,

Neat information. Thank you.

I'm sorry I was never much into photography, so I don't have a photo of the Kerr and holster I owned. I looked online at some originals to try to spark my memory of the one I owned. I do remember it never had a lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip, but I can't remember if the barrel and receiver were integral or not. I think I would have noticed and remembered had the barrel and frame been integral, though.

All the best for the New Year to you and yours as well.

Gus

Last edited:
Wallllll-I'm waiting for a reproduction cap 'n' ball with a poly frame, Hi-Viz front sight, ball bearing-non lubricated ball rammer joint, high tech to the Nth degree arbor/arbor hole, nipples that are self cleaning, and grips made of high tech space developed material that have various panels to fit the hand. :ghostly:

Udder dan dat, I'll take my Colts, specifically my favorite, a Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon. My other Dragoon's 3rd and WhittneyVille in reserve (Walker isn't a slouch either). 1860 Army and Pietta 1851 44 caliber are loved also. Like the looks and history of the 1851's but like the bigger 'Army' size grips. Like the 1860 Army influence on the 44 Pietta, more heft and caliber. Might be why I like my Old Model Ruger Vaquero bigger grips/frame over it's safe partner a New Model Vaquero. Same for the Colt 1873 Peacemaker Model P single action Army. To small a grip-not enough room for the pinky finger. Colt should have used the Army grip frame for the '73. High fives to my Open Top and three conversions (Richards II a favorite). Why I have no time for mini frame .380/9mm semi-auto whiz bang pistols either, small grips!

Last edited:
Gus,
With the Tranter and Adams, there seems to be a great deal of arms that fall somewhere between the descriptions.
My Tranter (really a Tranter /Adams/Kerr) is supposed to have a separate barrel but this one is an integral forging. We do get many outside the convenient boxes we like to put things in!

Here are a couple of photos to show the difference in rake Gus.
The ones with less rake are hard to handle!
(just photos off the web...)
FHG-1861-2-1500x1000.jpg
25486_0.jpg

This is page 5 of a long thread so maybe I missed something about tuning.

My favorite and smoothest revolver is an unmentionable S&W 629 Mountain Revolver which was a 629 variant modified in the S&W Custom Shop. The action has been so thoroughly polished and tuned that it is butter smooth. Almost any DA revolver will benefit by such tuning.

Gus,
With the Tranter and Adams, there seems to be a great deal of arms that fall somewhere between the descriptions.
My Tranter (really a Tranter /Adams/Kerr) is supposed to have a separate barrel but this one is an integral forging. We do get many outside the convenient boxes we like to put things in!

Here are a couple of photos to show the difference in rake Gus.
The ones with less rake are hard to handle!
(just photos off the web...)
View attachment 188397View attachment 188398
Indeed. The angle of the rake of the top revolver is what I ran into and didn't like.

Gus

Richard, this is the first time I've even heard of a Trantor/Adams, much less seen one! Truly unique compared to the Colts and Remingtons that seem so ubiquitous.
Are they both DA? Both in cal. .44? Love the checkered grips - much easier to hold on to with sweaty, nervous hands.
Thanks for showing these nifty revolvers. I'm not much in favor of the heavily raked grips, preferring the rake angle of a pistol that came out about 11 years after the turn of the century. But to each his own - cannot argue the beauty of these two.
Happy New Year, good friend!

Perfect percussion revolver? Here you go. the centered group was fired at 50 yards off the tonneau cover on my pickup. Born in 1962, run hard ever since, it’d be buried with me but one of my great granddaughters put dibs on it. I expect she’ll keep it running another 60 years or so. Perfect.

B7165632-D821-4D58-95CE-6FEAE1CFA2E0.jpeg

Craig,

I am looking for a Happy New year and Much better health for you my friend!
You'd have to try these in hand, but the ones I owned both had more rake, and would be better than the steeper pitch for hip shooting! LOL!
very uch each to his own.
Both of mine were .44, so called, but liked a .457" ball best
Even my 12 year old grand-daughter could keep her shots touching at the short range of ten to 12 yards offhand, but two handed.
In the above picture, the top one is single or double action. lower is double action only.

I think the double trigger version is Brilliant!
Think of it more as a gun with a spur on the trigger -guard that is spring loaded.
As you raise the gun, this spur pulls back, giving a very firm grip. This action also cocks the piece, so is faster than thumb cocking.
It happens automatically as you point the gun.
If the shot is Not taken, as the grip is released, the hammer returns to the safe position.
No need to worry if the hammer is between chambers. a safety block is preventing hammer contact with a cap.
If the gun is pointed and the trigger pressed, the safety is automatically held out the way and the hammer falls on the cap as it should.
That the gun cocks itself as you draw a bead seems a fantastic idea.
My old gun is beat to death and well worn, yet this trigger mechanism and indexing is as good as new. It is pitted but still out=shoots a great many newer revolvers.
I'll put it here as my favourite revolver for two reasons.
It works well, and
Its the only one I have !!

all the best,
Richard.
DSCN2991.JPG

DSCN1821.JPG

It's pretty interesting hearing all the success stories of the open top colts. My experience in the 70s with two Italian 1851 .36 cal brassers was that both of them got too loose to function after several thousand rounds.

So....... You guys just keep helping me spend money, or at least thinking about it.

Lets say a guy wanted an 1851, steel frame, 5 inch barrel in .36 caliber where would you look?
I "window shop" frequently at Midway and have seen them there in stock.

So....... You guys just keep helping me spend money, or at least thinking about it.

Lets say a guy wanted an 1851, steel frame, 5 inch barrel in .36 caliber where would you look?

What you seek may be made by someone, but Ive found that my idea of perfect in many things requires me to make it from something else.

I have THREE differnt variants of the "Tranter-Adams-Kerr" -- with different lockwork.
The "slim raked grip" on many English revolvers is because the owner was likely to be wearing heavy buff gloves - and often using the left hand as the right hand held the sword :)
The caliber (US Spelling) of what is often said to be " .44 " is actually 54 BORE and probably the most common -- although earlier revolvers tended to be 38bore (about .50") for use knocking a Cossack off a horse in the Crimean War or 120bore (about .32") for a pocket / desk drawer size for the Lady of the House.

After the Dunblane killings in Scotland, when decent law-abiding target-shooters had their pistols / revolvers taken away, I discussed at length with a major U.K. Gunmaking Company the making of a Tranter-TYPE revolver -- but it was eventually agreed that the market would have been too small to make the project viable.

One "bee in my bonnet" --- DOUBLE ACTION means that the revolver can be fired in two modes --- hammer-cocked or trigger-cocked "pulling through". Double-action ONLY is an oxymoron -- - but commonly used Stateside. The M1851 Colt is "single action, hammer-cocked" and the M1851 Adams is "singleaction, trigger cocked". The BEAUMONT-ADAMS (and the Mass Arms copy) are TRUE "double action".

Hmmmmm, I thought single action / double action referred to the "action" of the trigger. In SA the job is just to drop the hammer. DA it's to cock the hammer AND drop it. Therefore, "DA only" would make sense since you can't cock the hammer manually. Silly Americans . . .

Mike

If you think too much on it, pulling the trigger to cock and fire would be a SA from the shooter. Manually cocking and then pulling the trigger would be 2 (double) actions . I guess it depends on your perspective . . .
This means you could have 2 bees in the ol bonnet.

Y'all gotta quit wearin bonnets!! 🤠

Last edited:
Good morning Jim H,
I trust all is well with you and yours.

I tended to think of it as Mike/45D states above.

I always thought my Fourth model Tranter both single action and double action . Do you consider this correct?
(as you know, it can be thumb cocked, Or cocked by pressing the trigger, which cocks And fires it)

The latter I thought of as double action.
When I still lived over there, my circle of acquaintances all tended to use the terms in the same manner as the US.
All very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back