• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perdesoli Frontier Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally own a Pedersoli Scout in .50 Cal. Mine’s a flintlock . Barrel length is 28 1/2”. Twist is 1:48. LOP is 13 1/2”. Weighs about 6 pounds. Actually used it on the first Sunday of this month at a BP competition. Target’s were a mix of steel plates and novelty. All shooting was offhand. I didn’t win but was definitely able to hold my own. Nice shooting little rifle!! Would make an excellent deer gun. The only thing I changed on mine was to remove the adjustable rear step sight and replaced with a fixed sight.

My load is .490 ball, 60gr. of Goex 3f, and .018 pillow ticking spit patch cut at the muzzle.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Hi Cowboy. In my other 50 caliber guns I normally use 50-60grs of 3F for a target load and the one deer I shot I used 75grs of 3F with a home cast ball. One dead deer. It was a whole 13 yards away too. I could have speared him if I had of had a spear. I was younger then. I'm too old and creaky to think about charging a deer with a spear now.

I can't wait to get this rifle and start working on some loads for hunting. I haven't killed a deer in about 4 years or maybe 5 years. :hmm:

I would expect it to be an excellent deer gun! Light weight, easy to manage in underbrush or in a tree stand. As for myself, sights line right up when quickly shouldered. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate using the Scout for deer hunting.

Anyway I apologize for getting off topic. Pedersoli Frontier.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I use water solable machinist oil mixed with water for a patch lube and can shoot just about all day without having to wipe the bore. If I am shooting conicals like the Lee REAL bullets I wipe the bore after a couple of shots with old T-Shirts cut up into patches with the same lube. I have used this for over 25 years and it works good for me.

good to hear the positive reception, thinking of purchasing the blue ridge rifle

You're gonna have a ball with it! Back in the tight stuff with a moving animal or one that's going to break any moment, quick helps. And the short Frontier is certainly quick.

No, I'm not going to enter some range competition with it. I don't do that anyway. And I have my long heavies for more open terrain and deliberate shooting.

I got my gun today. What a beauty it is. Its LIGHT. Its a pleasure to pick up and swing around. The front sight I thought was a thick post tapers to a thin point. That'll work. If it ever stops raining around here I am off to my buds ranch to do a little shooting. Boy howdy I'm pumped!

I dropped one of my fishing bobber lights down the barrel and its perfect as far as I can see. I should have bought one of these years ago when they first caught my eye.

Cowboy said:
I do not have a Pedersoli Frontier but do have the Pedersoli Blue Ridge model. Both are pretty much the same rifle with the exception of the Frontier having a browned barrel and the Blue Ridge’s barrel blued. I also have the Hatfield in which I think the other two were copied from.

Both my Hatfield in .50 and my Blue Ridge in .54 are excellent shooting rifle’s. I will add that both mine are flintlock though. I’ve competed with both at range competitions and have preformed well. For the .50 Hatfield, I’m using 60 gr. Goex 3f with .490 ball and .018 pillow ticking spit patch.

For the .54 Blue Ridge, I use .530 ball, 70 gr. Goex 3f, and again .018 pillow ticking spit patch.

We exclusively shoot off hand. Tgt’s are various types at various ranges with the farthest being 100 yards.

Respectfully, Cowboy

My .32 Blue Ridge came with a browned barrel. That was about 22 years ago, though. It looks a lot better now.

I’ve got a few more shots on my Perdesoli.45 Frontier rifle. I recently shot a regional shoot that had 50 yd and 100 yd strings. I was shooting about 2 inches high at both ranges. I didn’t want to change anything during the shoot so I just used Kentucky windage and did my best with what I had. A gentleman that had way more experience than me gave me a different front sight, a higher front sight, and told me to swap it out when I got home.

I installed the front sight when I got home and got set up on sand bags and fired several 5 shot strings. I could hold about a 1” group with 4 shots, but I’d always have one flyer that is about 2” off. I noticed this at the regional shoot but just thought it was nerves.

I’m shooting a Hornady .440 ball with a .015” pillow ticking patch. I’m swabbing the barrel after each shot trying to keep everything equal. I’m using Goex 3f, 45 grains at 50 yds and 60 grains at 100 yds.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I also have the Pedersoli Frontier in .50. I usually use 90 grains of 2Fg behind a .490 round ball with a .010 patch. When I run out of 2Fg I use 60 grains of 3Fg behind the same .490 round ball with a .010 patch lubed with Wonder Lube. I do not really care for that lube and will be switching to the TOTW mink tallow just as soon as I can order it. Enjoy your Frontier. I think they are fine rifles, but then I've never shot another flintlock.

Back