• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion rifles used prior to the Civil War???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEVERS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What was the dominant or market majority brand of rifle prior to the onsite of the Civil War?

For instance, what did the Texans carry with them when fighting Mexico for independence? (besides Walker revolvers)

Also, what did folks tend to own AFTER the civil war... did they go out and look for surplus springfields and enfields? I can't believe there were enough repeaters from Spencer and Winchester to keep folk's gun appetite happy as folks moved west.

Can't really tell you who was the majority maker before the Civil War. In terms of numbers I would guess the trade rifles would be the most numerous. These were built in large numbers for the indian trade and offered as a cheaper alternative to those going west. Leman, Henry, Derringer and a host of others were making percussion models around time of the Mexican War.

After the Civil war a lot of rifles had the rifling bored out and sold as smoothbore 24 gauge pieces for very cheap. Being a smoothie made the gun a versitle and inexpensive piece for farmers or anyone else wanting something for varmits and fill the stew pot. Like the old barn rifles, most of these were used to death and then discarded so not many come down to us.

Before the war...there is no dominent "brand" although a few large makers like Leman produced enough arms so that they had standard products and these were easily recognized. Huge numbers of ex-military muskets, used with shot and round ball, were in regular use - likely far more than rifles. All muskets made before the adoption of the Standard Model of 1815 were condemmed and sold well before the Civil War which flooded the market with well made, inexpensive guns. Virtually no shotguns were made in America, this market was compeletly dominated by Birmingham, England export guns. Also, military rifles and muskets that did not pass inspection found a ready market with western emigrants. Some makers like Robbins & Lawrence made more money on their rejected arms than they did on the accepted ones.
From the archeological evidence it appears that most Texans were still using flintlocks (understandable as Texas was at the far end of the supply chain for percussion caps) and lots of ex-British Army late pattern "Brown Bess" muskets were in use. The Mexican army was largely armed with these but the Texans used them also.

After the war...we have a wildly distorted "movie-view" of the first twenty years after the war. There is a new book coming out in the next few months titled "Arming the West". Its the shipping records of Schuyler, Hartley & Graham to their western distributors from around 1866 to 1888. By far the most popular gun sold was the M1842 musket, usually bored smooth if it had been rifled. Other muskets follow, along with many different types of surplus muzzle loaders. Single shots are next, usually M1866 .50-70 rifles, either in original configuration or shortened, but there are numerous other single shots that are also listed. All repeaters are very low down on the list. They were expensive to buy and to shoot and fragile in the bargain. The people who bought them were apparently those with a definate need for a repeater and/or the extra money to spend on a "new fangled" rifle. Lots of Sharps business rifles went to the buffalo hunting areas but single shot Allin-type breechloaders still predominated. Very few handguns figure in the list and nearly all of them percussion. (However, SH&G were close to the Remington firm which they eventually took control of so the lack of Colts is not surprising. Nevertheless, there are very few Remingtons listed as well and these would have been readily available to them).

You've asked a very good question...one that has received very little real research. I'm afraid that most gun collectors base their assumptions on movies/television and/or what they personally like.

Joe Puleo

Prior to Mr. Lincoln's war there were very few "manufacturers" of firearms, even the gun factories such as Leman and Henry's did more hand work than machine work. Many much more modern factories were set up during the war to meet the demand for arms. The Federal government purchased tons of foreign rifles and muskets, as much to keep them out of Confederate hands as to arm Federal troops. They also purchased a staggering variety of breech loaders and after the war these were all sold off very cheaply. Anything used by the troops during the war could be found in civilian hands not long after. Some manufacturers, such as Spencer, found themselves competing for the market with their own guns being sold by the government for a fraction of production cost.

You got some good answers, all I'll to ad was from Tex Ranger records it would seem that the Tenn flintlock was king in Tex at and after Alamo time, one record shows in 40 or 43 that it had 1000 flints and 2 dozen perc caps ( not 2 dozen box's but 2 doz .) Just something to think on. Fred :hatsoff:

I read somewhere that the 1841 Mississippi Rifle was popular on the western frontier after the Mexican War. They were for shooting 54 roundball at that time and were very reliable by the period reports.

The first U.S. Military percussion guns issued to the troops were the 1833, 1836,1840 and 1843 Hall breech loading Carbines.
The Model 1841 (Mississippi Rifle), .54 cal. was the first percussion conventional rifle issued.
The 1842 Springfield was the first percussion .69 cal smoothbore (some rifled) musket (275,000) issued to the troops. (These were favored arms by some troops during the CW).
The 1855 .58 cal Rifle-Musket and Percussion Rifle must also be included.

In short, all of the Military guns after 1841 were percussion guns.

By 1830 the percussion guns were becoming very popular with the civilians across the U.S.
They were made by a wide number of manufactures.

Mike2005

Thank you for your post. My family has a Civil War Enfield (matching serial numbers on the barrel, butt, ramrod, stock) that is a smoothbore. Heretofore I've only been able to find data on rifled Enfields.

If you have any reference listings about this, I'd appreciate you passing them on.

bramble

Many muskets were smoothed out for civilian meat making guns. I have seen several over the years that have been turned into shot guns or fowlers.

I have a post civil war percussion rifle my great great grandfather made. He used a lock he picked up returning from the war. It is a 45 cal full stock. If I ever get a hold of a digital camera, I will post pictures. The lock is a tower lock.

bramble said:
Mike2005

Thank you for your post. My family has a Civil War Enfield (matching serial numbers on the barrel, butt, ramrod, stock) that is a smoothbore. Heretofore I've only been able to find data on rifled Enfields.

If you have any reference listings about this, I'd appreciate you passing them on.

bramble

Sorry don't have a reference. The article I got it from was one I read about 20+ years ago. As I remember it had a lot of references and also listed a number of consumer catalogs that carried them. Most of those Civil War Springfields and Enfields were .58 and were easily bored out to 24 gauge. A smoothie was much more in demand for a barn and pot gun than a big caliber rifle. At five or six dollars they were within the reach of most people.

I have also read of buffalo hunters and indians using .50-60 and .54 surplus breach loaders at around the same time.

Zonie got the facts right about antebellum percussion stuff. As for Texas, probably very few percussion guns during the Texas Independence era. The Colts Walker was another war with Mexico away. Actually, more like a long running fight!

Wes/Tex said:
Zonie got the facts right about antebellum percussion stuff. As for Texas, probably very few percussion guns during the Texas Independence era. The Colts Walker was another war with Mexico away. Actually, more like a long running fight!

Lets not forget the percussion underhammers sold to Texas around 1836.

P6230003.jpg
[/img]

Back