• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion nipple threads jamming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The teflon tape is wonderful. Been using it for years on my nipples and works great.

Fleener

Got called out for using ‘plastic’ years ago at a ML shoot because you could see a bit of white around my Allen wrench style ventliner. Wasn’t using the ‘HC/PC’ Never-Seez that others were using. Left the event as soon as I could pickup and pack my gear without firing a shot. Last I heard the club running the shoot disbanded because of the lack of members.

I have used the 1/4” wide stuff for years (no need to struggle cutting down the 1/2” type), but it can be a PIA in some cases. When I was shooting SASS and would use maybe 10 caplock cylinders at a shoot, found that the bit of a drying protector like EEZOX (there are others) lightly applied to the nipples threads and allowed to dry to the film it forms before installing, worked nearly as good as the PTFE tape, and was much easier to apply to 60 nipples.
upload_2019-11-15_21-46-57.jpeg

Got called out for using ‘plastic’ years ago at a ML shoot because you could see a bit of white around my Allen wrench style ventliner. Wasn’t using the ‘HC/PC’ Never-Seez that others were using. Left the event as soon as I could pickup and pack my gear without firing a shot. Last I heard the club running the shoot disbanded because of the lack of members.
Yup, that stuffed shirt chest beating attitude has driven many from the sport. I'll bet the self proclaimed ex-spurts at that shoot drove home in petrol fueled vehicles with heaters and air conditioners in them too.
Sorry, got a bit off topic here....

Remove the clean out screw and look into the drum with the nipple installed. If you can see any of the threads on the nipple then that is your problem. Hard fouling will build up on one or two threads and will make the nipple hard to remove and possibly ruin the drum. If this is the case just file a bit off the nipple.

Blue Grease? Is there a color code for different colors of grease? I've seen it in various colors but never figured out why the variety.
I believe the writer was talking about BLUE LOC-TITE and just referred to it as “grease”.
Blue loc-tite is the thread locking material that is not permanent, but allows for the threaded parts to be dis-assembled.
Except for regular automotive grease, which is typically a deep blue/green color, the only other color of grease I am familiar with that is referred to by color, is WHITE Lithium grease.

Blue Grease? Is there a color code for different colors of grease? I've seen it in various colors but never figured out why the variety.
Sorry guys. "Blue Grease" Is a color of grease-gun grease for machinery often used on high speed bearings due to it's specific "high heat" tolerance. Maybe it just doesn't have a "black powder" tolerance. Next I will try some spark plug (high heat) anti-seize and then the tape

Sorry guys. "Blue Grease" Is a color of grease-gun grease for machinery often used on high speed bearings due to it's specific "high heat" tolerance. Maybe it just doesn't have a "black powder" tolerance. Next I will try some spark plug (high heat) anti-seize and then the tape
Sir, I would avoid anything made from oil out of the ground!

Ordered two Hotshot nipples for my GPR and they wouldn't screw in properly. After close inspection I noticed nipples were double threaded...meaning there was two starting points cut into the threads.

Ordered two Hotshot nipples for my GPR and they wouldn't screw in properly. After close inspection I noticed nipples were double threaded...meaning there was two starting points cut into the threads.
Is this a fairly common occurrence or a rare thing with Hotshot? I've haven't used this particular product yet.

Hello N.Y. Yankee,

I believe your problem is the cleanout screw, try removing it before removing the nipple.

AntiqueSledMan.

Back