• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditons Deerhunter Nipple exploded!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the simplest is the best. You may be able to install an oversized nipple in your existing drum but you would need a proper size drill and tap for whatever nipple you choose.

Traditions/CVA's have a minimal threaded contact area in the drum so that makes any deficiency in the nipple or drum threads critical. Nipple threads can become burned through as well as suffer other detriments. The drum threads are notorious for getting cross threaded or stripped. Buy new quality nipples (more than one) 6 x 1 metric. Look at the threads in the drum very closely. If they look at all messed up you want to convert to the next size up M 7x1. As noted above Track of the wolf has a kit for that replacement. Of course if you go that route you will need to buy M7x1 nipples. 90 grains and a conical is a pretty good strain on that nipple/drum set up. And already questioned, what powder is being used?

It’s unfair and somewhat deceiving to put Traditions Deerhunter in the title. The gun is apparently fine. It’s just the nipple that failed. We don’t know for sure what brand it is nor how it was cared for or installed. I’m glad nobody was seriously injured. This is something that should be correctable at a minimum expense. The barrel, lock and stock don’t seem affected based on the descriptions.

There are many possible reasons, including improper tapping at the factory or some other defect.

I had the barrel blow off a Ruger "unmentionable", Ruger didn't want to talk about it, they mailed me a shipping label, and sent a brand new one to my FFL dealer. They could not tell me what happened. I think it was a manufacturing defect.

There could be a batch of these rifles that had loose nipple threads, a bad threading lube was used, who knows. This is the nature of the beast with mass produced firearms.

Not muzzleloaders but when I was a firearms instructor we had a rash of Smith and Wesson model 64s where the barrels came off during live fire qualifications using top shelf law enforcement grade ammo, Sent them back to the factory to be fixed, even inquired as to why they were doing this no reply. The scary part was these were service revolvers carried by on duty officers. One of the reasons we switched over to auto loaders. Guess things happen and one never knows exactly why it happens. Kind of like a carnival side show pay your nickle and take your chances.

My first impression was that you could have double loaded bullets, or didn’t seat the bullet all the way, causing excess pressure to send that nipple into space.

I’ve taken the nipple off my TC Hawken every time I’ve cleaned it, which equals each time I’ve had a shooting session with it. I built it in about 1982…. No nipple issues, ever.

Back