• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandbergski

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure others have asked this same thing in the past, but how reliable are caps that have been in the field with bad weather over the course of a Wisconsin hunting season. I was just reading an article in the Back Woodsman magazine and he said that he drilled holes in this leather sling to keep #11 caps in with the opening of the cap exposed to the elements. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mine are never exposed to air, except when they are on a gun of some kind. I carry all my caps in a cap pouch on my belt. I have some caps that are a couple years old. And been through all seasons up here in Michigan, and in all weather. Usually I use up 3 or 4 tins of caps easy in a year.

sandbergski said:
...drilled holes in this leather sling to keep #11 caps in with the opening of the cap exposed....

No less exposed than almost any other cap holder. The difference is what you do with the cap holders. I make them, and they go into my shooting bag. Never an issue.

Beware of dropping any cap holder into a shirt pocket, then putting on a jacket or raingear and sweating up real good. That'll test the "waterproofing" on any cap, and prove to you that they aren't.

If reasonably protected from the elements, such as being kept in the original can, caps will not be harmed by being carried in one's bag. Carrying them in a capper of some kind that is kept protected in one's bag will likely not harm them over a season. Storing them in a capper in a bag that is exposed to the elements will, in time likely result in a few duds but not likely within one season. Lastly, carrying them in a capper of any kind that allows them to be exposed to the elements results in a manure shoot. Some are likely to fail due to moisture penetration. Caps are sealed against moisture but nothing is fail safe when exposed to the elements. The better you protect your caps and keep them dry in inclement weather, the more sure you can be that they will not fail when you have that trophy in your sights.

I use a simple leather capper to hold my caps while hunting in Ohio's rainy weather with no problems. It consists of a simple leather strap with 3/16 holes punched near the edge and a slit to the edge. I put the caps in the holes and then pull the strap through two wider strips that are riveted together to "sandwich" the loaded strip. I have often used one the full gun season and muzzleloader season with no problems and if not used, I use the caps for target shooting the next summer and have never had a problem. I might add that I use only RWS caps for hunting. :idunno:

That capper that you made sounds cool, do you happen to have any pictures i would love to see how it's put together.

sandbergski said:
I'm sure others have asked this same thing in the past, but how reliable are caps that have been in the field with bad weather over the course of a Wisconsin hunting season. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

For WI hunting, try coating them with cheeze.

I use a straight line capper. I put a piece leather lacing or para chord through the loop at the end and put it around my neck. It hangs to the bottom of my breast bone and wear it on the inside of my coats. I wear it that long so I don't have to take it off to cap. If it gets wet there: I have fallen into a creek, pond, or river. I sure ain't going to worry about those caps if that happens :shake: . DANNY

When I used caplocks I carried them on a scrap of leather with holes punched as described. The leather scrap was hung around my neck, and protected from rain by storing in my coat.

However if I got sweaty I would keep them outside the coat. And if I got sweaty while it was raining, I'd take it off my neck and keep it in my shooting bag.

azmntman said:
what did ya do when it was raining and you were sweating and yer coke spilled in yer pocket??? :rotf:

Quietly curse, then stomp your way back to the truck where there's a new, dry tin of caps stashed away in the cupholder.

Whats wrong with carrying what is designed to carry them? A cap pouch. A Civil war cap pouch has a cover is lined with fur so they don't drop out, and you can tuck a nipple pick in the corner. Just slip it on your belt and buckle up. They are real expensive I think like 15 bucks.

Poor Private said:
Whats wrong with carrying what is designed to carry them? A cap pouch.

Cold wet hands in my case. Might be more feasible with musket caps as intended in the civil war pouches, but #11's are out of the question.

Yep. The leather cappers are just a way to handle the caps with cold, clumsy hands. I usually carried a cap tin in the possible bag in case the leather gets wet.

Actually when I think about it the leather capper was more for reloading in the field. More often than not, I reuse the cap from the previous day's hunt. That cap often still had the piece of surgical tubing on it and was in the cap tin.

Yep, there are many ways to carry your caps but the secret to having caps that will work when they are needed lies not in the device that is used to carry them but in protecting them from getting wet. Carry them in whatever way suits you best, just make sure they are protected from all moisture whether it is rain, snow, perspiration, a dunk in a creek or whatever. Keep 'em dry and you are good to go. :thumbsup:

Good point Bill.

You just pointed out why I didn't like the idea of using the possibles bag strap to hold caps as mentioned in the OP.

With the various capping devices, both commercial and homemade, they are all small and portable enough that they can be moved or relocated to a dry location. Not so if you just punch holes in the bag strap.

Back