• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will #10 caps work in my t/c 50 cal?
It isn't really the type of gun that determines the cap size, but the size of the cone of the nipple that has been installed in the gun. I'm assuming your T/C .50 caliber is a rifle. Most of the nipples you see nowadays are sized for #11 caps. It is likely #10 caps won't seat completely, resulting in a failure to fire when your hammer strikes the cap. It may be possible to file or turn the nipple down to a small enough diameter to accept a #10 cap, but I can't say for sure. There also may be a 1/4-28 nipple out there with a cone already sized for #10 caps, but I can't say for sure on that, either.

I think it is generally accepted that larger caps contain more priming compound than smaller ones, so they have a hotter and more intense flame. I suppose #10 caps work reliably in revolvers because the revolver chambers are essentially "in-lines," with the powder charge right up against the base of the nipple and the cap flash going directly into the main charge. In a rifle with a patent breech, powder has to trickle down around a corner or two to reach the base of the nipple, or the cap flash has to jet far enough into the chamber to reach it. Therefore, a hotter cap might be better for rifles, or even single-shot pistols. I had not thought of this until now, and I don't know if my reasoning is accurate or not, but it seems plausible.

So, will #10 caps work with your T/C .50 caliber? Probably not, unless you modify the nipple, and even if the smaller caps can be made to fit, larger caps might perform better.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Cap supplies are coming back, I'm seeing Remington 10's and CCI 11's at big box sporting goods stores again.

I guess hoarding didn't prove lucrative, and all the people who bought percussion revolvers to "save ammo" are getting tired of actually having to clean something......or not, and they rusted their guns up , and stopped sucking up caps.

I'd guess the number of people trying to fire original percussion revolvers or rifles with odd nipples is way to small for manufacturers to gear up to make #9 or 13 caps.

FWIW my Colt 2nd Gen Pocket Navy uses CCI #10's which are probably the smallest caps I have seen on the market, ever.

Back