• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clarification and definitions please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all use acronyms for typing messages. One should explain acronyms when they are introduced using parentheses and then use the acronyms further in the paragraphs or sentences. e.g. New Model Army (NMA)

Also, please clarify what tuning of a revolver is. I know that I have had a revolver tuned for accuracy and reliability including a cap rake, new and better springs, arbor adjusted, cylinder chambers and barrel bore checked, chamfered and sized as necessary, etc.

What is tuned for competition?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

I’d say tuned for competitive shooting means loaning the pistol to a known competitive shooter for testing! As a child, the guy down the road shot on the highway patrol pistol team. Everyone had him test out their new or used pistol to see if it was any good!

Also, please clarify what tuning of a revolver is. I know that I have had a revolver tuned for accuracy and reliability including a cap rake, new and better springs, arbor adjusted, cylinder chambers and barrel bore checked, chamfered and sized as necessary, etc.

What is tuned for competition?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

"Tuning" a SA ( Single Action) revolver typically means setting the revolver up to factory spec. which is mainly a concern with correct timing and spring tension. Almost all SA revolvers leave the factory with less than perfect timing . . . which can lead to damaged locking notches, scratched cylinders and worn action parts. Over tensioned springs which will lead to early demise of action parts as well.

"Competition tuning" means a setup suitable for whatever competition the SA will be used for. Fast draw, Fanning ( trick shooting), Cowboy shooting, target shooting/ silhouette shooting etc.

Mike

I think some terms like NMA most will know. If not they can ask. It would be the obscure terms.

ASP (Ameri San Paola) would be one of those but you also would need to ask as ASP would be one of the original BP replica revolver makers. My take (could be wrong) is Pietta is the decedent of ASP (or was wrapped up in consolidations that became Pietta)

ROA is a ?????? I think it too is a known to most. Often the title of the posting will give you the idea.

As for tuning, Mike has that covered (obviously!) though there are others who probably have a different take on tuning

I have to think they all start with the correct function and timing (ie, cylinder bolt (latch) that release, stay released at half cock and then engage correctly to the Cylinder Slot (cylinder stop notch) . Timing probably covers all that goes on but there are a number of functions behind that timing.

I think some terms like NMA most will know. If not they can ask. It would be the obscure terms.

ASP (Ameri San Paola) would be one of those but you also would need to ask as ASP would be one of the original BP replica revolver makers. My take (could be wrong) is Pietta is the decedent of ASP (or was wrapped up in consolidations that became Pietta)

ROA is a ?????? I think it too is a known to most. Often the title of the posting will give you the idea.

As for tuning, Mike has that covered (obviously!) though there are others who probably have a different take on tuning

I have to think they all start with the correct function and timing (ie, cylinder bolt (latch) that release, stay released at half cock and then engage correctly to the Cylinder Slot (cylinder stop notch) . Timing probably covers all that goes on but there are a number of functions behind that timing.

Well, they start with "function" alright but almost all new SA revolvers exhibit late bolt drop . . . usually right on the edge of the locking notch. Which leads to moving material into the notch which leads to the bolt not fitting/ locking the cylinder. It's setting the correct "timing" that fixes that and other problems.

BTW, ASP (Armi San Paolo)

Last edited:
I would go as far as correcting the hammer face angle and depth of strike. Nothing so ouch as a defaced hammer and mushroomed nipples.

Latest posts

Back