• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Cap brands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no complaints with CCI, RWS, Win mag and Remington.
One of my (many) idiosyncrasies is changing all my pistol nipples to TOTWs that fit CCI 11s, that gets rid of a ton of problems right from the git-go.
The old Rems in the round edged tins were scalloped, I think that helped them expand a bit more when necessary, which I liked. However the green compound discs seemed to fall out often, which I didn’t like.
The new Remingtons in the tins with squared off edges (like cci, win) have a gold deal covering the compound. If I’m not mistaken they are no longer scalloped. There was quite a shakeup recently when Remington was bought by an “investor group” (hatchet men?)
Who knows who’s making their caps now, I’m just glad they didn’t disappear.
For the foreseeable future we’re lucky to get any caps, any brand.
ToTW is even limiting flints to a dozen per order, so I toss a dozen in my cart every time.

The old Remington # 10's for Italian repro revolvers.
However the ownership changed after Remington
went under due to Sandy Hook lawsuit. The new
issues cost double per tin. But are they just as
reliable as they were when made by Old Remington?
Remains to be seen. I'm still using some old stock caps.

CCI 10 for revolvers and cCI 11 for rifles. Haven't had any real problems with them . I bought out some old stock remington magnum 11 caps that had issues with the primer compound . It had disappeared from inside some of the caps. They were all sealed in plastic packaging I think they were on the shelf of snowsville store for more than a decade.

Is anybody is still making percussion caps? I sure haven't seen any for sale in a long, long time. My inventory is getting whittled away. Every time I open a can I wish I'd have bought more for the $4.99 the price tag reminds me I paid for them.

I use whatever I can find, I remember paying $20/1,000 and wondering what made them worth that price especially when I could buy bulk .22 LR for about the same price. Today if I were to find caps online with sales tax, hazmat and shipping the cost would be somewhere around $120/1,000.

Early on I bought Remington or RWS, I don't recall CCI offering caps but they might have. Today, when I can find caps, it's usually CCI brand. My current inventory is a mix of CCI standard and magnum caps. I recently shot some very old Pyrodex RS and new stock Pyrodex Select finding the CCI magnum caps worked best with both but even these could have been hotter. I haven't experimented with blackpowder substitutes other than Pyrodex.

Last week a local store had three tins of Remington caps, this week there are 6 tins of CCI.
This is the current situation most of us are stuck with. That being said, buy what you can find if you want to shoot. None of us like the new cost of components, but it is what it is.
In 1972 I paid as little as $.09/gal for gas. In 2022 I pay a lot more.

At the range I use CCI, have had enough misfires I will not depend on them for hunting. For the last three seasons I’ve used Winchester Magnum #11 for hunting with 100% reliability (so far).

I've used and use everything to make muzzleloaders go bang

I have Rem #10 caps that span 3 decades , I have 800 left of some from the 1970s that work well enough for range shooting.

I just put a 209 primer adapter on a Pedersoli .58 CS Richmond. Talk about blowing a blade of grass, popping a 209 blew dry leaves about a foot. And, plot twist.....209 Adapters on a sidelock are historically correct, as these adapter nipples for Berdan or Shotgun primers were patented in the 1880s or earlier.

In the 90s I had a small pistol primer adapter on my T/C Big Boar. Complete PITA to use.

CCI #11 Magnums have worked in nearly everything I've used them on except BP Subs in an ArmiSport 1861 Springfield, but there's only so much you can expect when you're using both powder and caps the rifle was not designed for

Back