• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percusion v flint, my perspective

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like and shoot anything that goes bang ,Caplock, Flint lock, bowling ball mortar . Haven't tried a wheel lock or match lock yet though!
I bet a match lock is a trial to shoot accurately!

As you stated originally, it is your opinion, and that's great. I personally have no desire to shoot the flintlock, and will keep on with my percussion. I prefer the underhammer. It's great, that you had an itch and scratched it!

I like them both and have uses for both. In N.M.L.R.A offhand type competition the best flint shooter will not shoot a higher score than the best percussion shooter. So if you are going to an offhand match and are going to shoot to win you are not going to do it with a flinter if there is a guy there that is a top offhand percussion shooter. Now there are many times the flintlock shooters shoot rings around the percussion shooters. The reason is the good percussion shooters stayed home that day for some reason. This is why we have the flintlock shooting class and the percussion class. Keep them separated or one or the other will take each other to the cleaners if the right shooters show up.
Plus it has to do with what side of the bed I wake up on. Did I wake up in a Revolutionary, longhunter, Shawnee scalping mode? Or did I wake up with a 61 Springfield feeling like a private in the Union or Confederate army on picket duty? Or did I wake up with my Hawken bartering for a squaw to take as a wife at Bear Lake during a rendezvous? I like them both and the people that shoot them both.

Back