• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlk

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience building or shooting the Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler? I'm thinking of building one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl I'm building the smooth rifle right now which is basically the same thing. It's not to bad just take it slow and be patient. I have been working on mine since october and I'm only half done. I think the biggest problem I had was fear of screwing up when i first started after a while you start to get more comfortable with things and it gets better. By far the biggest problem I have had has been the installation of the butt plate. Takes forever and I'm impatient. Just have to make your self step away from it for a while.

Jack

I've owned a PA Fowler made by Dave Motto for about 3 years now. I love it. Well balanced, pleasant shooting and accurate.

You are going to love it.

I'm with you there - I've been building my Chambers York since May on and off and am only just doing the patchbox, the final part before finishing the wood. It took me ages to do the buttplate too, but looking at it now I'm glad I put in the time to get the inletting really close. It's been a great project but sometimes I think I've never spent so long in my life on something! I might take a breather for a few months when this is done, then maybe next year have a go at the smooth rifle or the Penn or New England fowler. Make sure you post pics on the builders forum when you're done!

Yeah, go slow. I spent about 50 ham handed hours on a Chambers York with the very informative Turpin video as a guide. I rushed it a bit at the end and it turned out to be pretty rough lookin. Probably turned $550 worth of parts into a $300 asset. Despite the difficulties it shoots just fine and I did learn a lot. You might want to find out if there are any firelock assembly short courses in your area. One builder told me he built about 16 guns before he got good at it. Then again, you might be one of those folks with the innate ability and patience to get it right the first time. Good luck :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in hearing what diameter ramrod fits in the pipes. I know Chamber's York takes a ramrod less than 3/8".

I just pretty much finished my first penn fowler kit from Chambers and love it-This was my second kit to do on a smoothbore and learn more each time. I made several calls to Chambers for some advice as I was doing the kit. They are exceptional to work with and will definitely take the time to discuss with you. About all I like is a little more bluing. I am already shooting it with prb and trying to work up turkey loads for April. I think you will love the pa fowler.

Tommy-from north east tex

I'm doin a smooth rifle now. Of course the lock, stock, barrel parts are of high quality.

I noticed a lot of "layout" work wasn't neccessary. The only thing that really needs to be placed is the trigger gaurd.
It also seems that not much wood will need to be roughed off. I'm thinkin it will help avoid that blocky look you might get if not enough wood is removed.
Price isn't cheap but quality isn't cheap either. I have no complaints.

Built one several years ago, my second Chambers kit. The thin round barrel means soldering the lugs and front sight, and you're aligning them on a round surface, not a nice barrel flat. As others advise, go slow. The gun is great to carry - light and well balanced. I don't shoot a ball well yet, as I am addicted to rear sights, but I think once I get my sight picture in my head it will be a fast shooter. I have been able to break clay birds with it. Note that the website pictures don't do the gun justice. It is truly graceful and elegant.

tommy, Will the pipes accept a full 3/8" ramrod or does it need to be smaller in diameter ?

I had to sand (taper) the bottom third of the rod in order to go all the way in to the stock and bottom out. Took very little time using sand paper chucked up in the vice with just enough room to run the rod back and forth. I bought the Chambers rod tip and I think they only come in one size which I had to cut the very end down to fit and then pin. After that, just some sanding. I kept it at a pretty tight fit. When I get in this evening, I can mic the other end of the rod and check the diameter and post- yea-it is a 3/8 rod, but I will verify.
Tommy

Double checked the rod dimension-At the muzzle end the rod is still 3/8"-so the pipes on my Pa fowler are just right for this size rod-The tip I got from Chambers measures .320" so I tapered from that size back up to the 3/8" for about 20" from the tip up. Hope this helps. Tommy

Thanks tommy, that's the info I was looking for. I also got to handle a Chambers PA fowler this past weekend at a shoot and found the pipes were quite a bit larger than their Early York - good.

Thank you for all the great information. I went ahead and purchased the kit. I'll post pictures when it is done.

Good deal. I think you will love it-And, as posted earlier, the folks at Chambers are really great to work with. Having a great time working up turkey loads and prb loads for it. Looking forward to hunting turkeys in April and still hunting the hogs on my place and a lease I have about 20 miles from me. I think you will find that 46" barrel is just right.Tommy

Let me know what you come up with for the turkey loads. I live on 3 acres surrounded by national forest in Alabama. Our turkey season starts in march. I hope to get the gun done in time.

Received my Chambers PA fowler this AM. HOW SWEET IT IS :) It was put together by Jim Klein out in Michigan and includes engraving, carving and a wicked nice stock finish. It's light but well balanced and what a shooter!! Hats off to Jim Chambers and Jim Klein :hatsoff:

I'm glad you got such a nice gun, John. Jim makes a first class product and you get to deal with Black Powder Barbie which is another plus.Did you keep your fusil or sell it? Look me up at Ti so I can see it, you know where I camp.
Tom Patton

Back