• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pennsylvania bear hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time ago. 1972. Near Rickett's Glen State Park, northwest of Wilkes-Barre. Still hunting along Bowman Creek, slowly moving along overlooking the creek bottom. Took a 250 pound black bear. Tagged it, but then thought; the nearest way out was a dirt forest road a couple hundred yards on the other side of the creek. Took the tag off the bear, and put it in my shirt pocket, while my uncle and I dragged the bear through the fidget thigh deep creek. (I thought the water would wash out the ink on the tag) We had some momentum up, so we kept dragging the bear for another 100 yards or so. Resting, huffing and puffing, and wet up almost to our waists - here comes a green truck down the back woods road. We are seen and the truck stops. A man in a green uniform walks over to us. Game Warden. We showed him our hunting licenses, and I took the game tag out of my pocket to show him.
I was fined $100. for moving that bear without the tag being on the bear!!!

I don't know if they still do it, but back in those days Pennsylvania put out a state road map that showed all the state game lands, parks, and other public lands.

Last edited:
Anyone hunt bears in northeastern PA? I looking for any input as to public lands, private leases, clubs, etc. for 2024. Also, any tips, techniques, ideas. I want to get one using my flintlock.
I started hunting bear in Mass a few years ago. No bait, no dogs, just sit and wait! They do allow for electronic calls. The fawn in distress brought a bear in for a 50yd shot last year. Not sure what PA regs are but figured I'd mention what worked for me.

we do drives standers and pushers
IMG_2494[706].JPG

That is common for many types of game in many states. There must be a good reason for the law. I think that kind of enforcement stinks. Tags can get snagged and pulled off when dragging game out of the woods.
Well, with all the laws and regs out there, we all break at least one on a daily basis in our journeys. Pay it and don't take it personally is my best advise

My next-door neighbor shot/harvested a 600 pounder 2 years in a row doing drives in his 400acer corn fields(state wma on the mountain across the river next to his farm) when I lived in Lycoming county. my bear was pushed on state land west of Lockport pa. drives are nearly a mile long and are pushers walking with only locating calls everyone on radio (we like the rinos they show all locations of the standers when they key up the mike) bears might be walking, my bear ran straight at me down into a small valley I held fire till he hit the bottom and was starting up on my side any misses would go into the ground behind him. the drivers still 1/2 mile behind him. then I became a pusher without a gun (1 bear per year)

Last edited:
That is common for many types of game in many states. There must be a good reason for the law. I think that kind of enforcement stinks. Tags can get snagged and pulled off when dragging game out of the woods.
That law is because once the shooter gets done with transporting law enforcement is liable to see the same the next day doing the same!!! Fill the tag out and no issue ,don't and then cry I lost my tag (like the dog ate my homework) I hate BS ers and excuses for not following (the Letter of the LAW) /that's why it doesn't stink because folks that cheat stink !!!/Ed

No matter what the Issue , stay away from any and all Pa. blame wardens. They seem to be programmed , that everyone is a potential game law violator. As a kid , I knew all the blame wardens in our end of the county , and the land managers , too. They were all pro hunters , and showed up every month at our local Sportsman's club meetings. My favorite warden taught me to shoot my Dad's .22 cal. pistol , the Marine Corps. way , at the club's downstairs rifle range, while the adults were upstairs , getting ready to hold the sportsman's club meeting . He took time to pay attention to a 10 yr. old kid , and I never forgot his wisdom , and kindness.

My first year trapping I skinned coons and left the carcasses in the woods, 1/2 mile from any road I could drive on. A bunny cop drove in to check my traps and saw the coon carcasses and I was fined $250 for littering!!!!! I said what’s the difference between leaving a couple coon carcasses in the woods or leaving a deer gut pile. He said “it’s just different”. Some are decent guys and some are just jerks and all of the rules have gray areas.

A physician friend of mine wanted to go bear hunting first day of the season , here in Pa. , and take his young son with him for an outing. A local hunter friend gave him specific instructions where there was a known bear crossing where the two hunters might sit , and watch for a black bear to come by. Before daylight , the pair found the crossing site , sat under the pine tree where told to sit. After a while , a foul odor was detected at the place the two had chosen. When daylight came , the good Dr. noticed he was actually sitting in a pile of bear poop. Dr. told me later , he didn't have such a good experience bear hunting.

A physician friend of mine wanted to go bear hunting first day of the season , here in Pa. , and take his young son with him for an outing. A local hunter friend gave him specific instructions where there was a known bear crossing where the two hunters might sit , and watch for a black bear to come by. Before daylight , the pair found the crossing site , sat under the pine tree where told to sit. After a while , a foul odor was detected at the place the two had chosen. When daylight came , the good Dr. noticed he was actually sitting in a pile of bear poop. Dr. told me later , he didn't have such a good experience bear hunting.
That's too funny. He could have sat on a yellow jacket nest. Who said doctors are smart?

Latest posts

Back