• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Rust Brown Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

32 Cal
Reaction score
This week I’ve read three posts saying the Rust Brown Barrel finish on the Pedersoli Rocky Mtn and Missouri rifles is a spray on coating of some type. One said it was Cerakote another wrote that he had got Loctite on the barrel and the coating softened and came off.
Anyone definitely know if Pedersoli is using a real (should be) Brown Rust process a a spray on like some have said?

Thank You

This week I’ve read three posts saying the Rust Brown Barrel finish on the Pedersoli Rocky Mtn and Missouri rifles is a spray on coating of some type. One said it was Cerakote another wrote that he had got Loctite on the barrel and the coating softened and came off.
Anyone definitely know if Pedersoli is using a real (should be) Brown Rust process a a spray on like some have said?
I have seen a Cerakote ceramic type finish on some Pedersoli guns instead of a rust brown. Looks very uniform, but imagine it would tend to chip or scratch instead of developing a worn patina from use, as it is a surface topcoat instead of a conversion process like traditional rust brown. Just an opinion, as I don’t personally own any Pedersolis with the Cerakote ceramic type finish, only having handled a few examples.

Last edited:
Can't speak to those rifles but fwiw the browning on my Pedersoli pistol came off like rust (yucky red/brown dust) when I brought it down to bare steel and was fairly easy to take off. Very similar to what happens when removing rust from tools and stuff.

When I spoke to Pierangelo and his Son Stephano at the SHOT show in 2017 or 18? After they purchased PH name/rights and announced thier Whitworth with Brown barrel. They said they could no longer use the chemicals for rust blue/brown due to Govt regulations.

When I spoke to Pierangelo and his Son Stephano at the SHOT show in 2017 or 18? After they purchased PH name/rights and announced thier Whitworth with Brown barrel. They said they could no longer use the chemicals for rust blue/brown due to Govt regulations.
This may explain why we’re hearing about a new coating being used. Not a great option when trying to have an as accurate as possible replica rifle.

I have seen a Cerakote ceramic type finish on some Pedersoli guns instead of a rust brown. Looks very uniform, but imagine it would tend to chip or scratch instead of developing a worn patina from use, as it is a surface topcoat instead of a conversion process like traditional rust brown. Just an opinion, as I don’t personally own any Pedersolis with the Cerakote ceramic type finish,
Both

Thank You
My my .50cal Pennsylvania rifle and .45cal Kentucky pistol are some sort of spray on. Both purchased some 12 years ago new from Cabelas

Both

My my .50cal Pennsylvania rifle and .45cal Kentucky pistol are some sort of spray on. Both purchased some 12 years ago new from Cabelas
Believe Cabelas was the first place I saw one of Pedersolis’ guns with Cerakote ceramic faux rust brown finish. It was in their bargain cave or whatever they called it, with a scuffed up stock and barrel finish. I was tempted, but the Cerakote finish convinced me to walk once figured out what it was. The stuff will scratch and chip, but can be a PIA to remove down to bare metal for a proper refinishing.

It might have been one of those produced FOR Cabelas.
Could have been, though I have seen guns clearly and only marked as Pedersoli with the Cerakote ceramic type finish on them at a Pedersoli display booth at a gun show. Pedersoli rep tried explain how the finish was much tougher than traditional rust bluing, though no one seemed to be buying it.

Don’t know what particular offerings Pedersoli is currently producing with the Cerakote ceramic type finish, if any, but there is little doubt they shipped quite a few out of their factory, unless a distributor was or is adding the finish. Don’t understand what the debate is just because some have also received guns with what appears to a traditional rust brown finish. Pedersoli builds guns to different price points, just like most every other manufacture.

My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Rifle had that ugly sprayed on glossy brown finish. I don't know for sure what it is made of, but it can be easily removed. I brushed on a layer of epoxy solvent gel and allowed it to sit over night. The next day using a cloth I wiped off the gel and coating with no more effort than if it the coating had been made of jelly. I then gave it a proper rust brown finish. Much improved the appearance in my opinion. (follow directions and use proper protective wear because epoxy solvent is is not to be disrespected.)
P5220077.jpeg

Believe Cabelas was the first place I saw one of Pedersolis’ guns with Cerakote ceramic faux rust brown finish. It was in their bargain cave or whatever they called it, with a scuffed up stock and barrel finish. I was tempted, but the Cerakote finish convinced me to walk once figured out what it was. The stuff will scratch and chip, but can be a PIA to remove down to bare metal for a proper refinishing.
After all these years it is 'scratched' but I see no 'chips' or bare spots.
They were not listed 'bargin basement'.
I got them back when they mailed them right to my door (in California no less!).
Both are good straight shooter and give not troubles at all. I think the current flint on the rifle is on its 40 or 50th shot and still not been recapped. No problem hitting tea cups or an 8" round steel at 100 yards (any further I wouldn't be able to see it).

I purchased this Pedersoli new and after a few rounds the coating started coming off . I contacted the store where I purchased it and got no success. Contacted Pedersoli company directly and all they said was the store would repair it. After many months of waiting I had my barrel shipped back to me.

Attachments

• DSCF3721.JPG
    DSCF3721.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3722.JPG
    DSCF3722.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3724.JPG
    DSCF3724.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 0
I purchased this Pedersoli new and after a few rounds the coating started coming off . I contacted the store where I purchased it and got no success. Contacted Pedersoli company directly and all they said was the store would repair it. After many months of waiting I had my barrel shipped back to me.
Just curious; what powder do you shoot?
I have somewhere between 2 and three thousand round through mine and it looks Nothing like that!
The touch liner on yours looks like it's melting...

Attachments

• 20240425_074141.jpg
    20240425_074141.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
3F GOEX 40 grains , it is a 45 cal . This started with less than 100 rounds thru it.

Thank You
Thank you for the replies. Examples posted here show some models are def having problems with the type of finish applied to barrels.
I emailed ([email protected]) the importer and asked about the browning finish on the Rocky Mtn and Missouri . Coating or rust bluing process… and they said. “ The barrels are blued by a rust bluing process.“

Thank you for the replies. Examples posted here show some models are def having problems with the type of finish applied to barrels.
I emailed ([email protected]) the importer and asked about the browning finish on the Rocky Mtn and Missouri . Coating or rust bluing process… and they said. “ The barrels are blued by a rust bluing process.“
I am no expert, while I am satisfied with my Pedersolies I am not convinced they don't shortcut the Browning. Comparing mine to some home builts; the ho.e builds are much more natural, not so 'clean' in appearance and definitely more 'appealing' in my opinion.

I bought mine back around 2012/2013, it's been dropped a couple times (on concrete at a public range and on dessert ground with rocks and gravel).
It has held up great but the scratches do seem to show more of a 'spray on coating' then a chemically treated Browning process.

I have never done either personally so I am only guessing.
However; neither of mine have any signs of 'chipping' or 'peeling' anywhere.

Attachments

• 20240425_074218.jpg
    20240425_074218.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240425_074203.jpg
    20240425_074203.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back