• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Queen Anne Ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you who own a Pedersoli Queen Anne pistol and have experianced the poor ignition on this gun, like I have might want to follow this link over to the Builders Bench for my latest idea to fix the problem.

QUEEN ANNE IGNITION

And "now, for the rest of the story". :grin:

Of course it would be silly for me to make a post about fixing the Queen Anne pistol without actually testing it, so today we went to the range.

It had been years sense I last shot my QA because the ignition was so unreliable. (No, I didn't keep records so I don't really know how many Flashes in the Pan I had per shot, but it was several).

Today I was using a .490 ball with a .010 patch over 24 grains of Swiss FFFg. Priming was with Elephant FFFF.

The first shot was instantaneous. Of the first 5 shots, I still had 2 shots which were FITPs but I had not picked the vent before priming.
In both cases, picking the vent allowed the next shot to fire without hesitation. From that point on, I always picked the vent with a paperclip.

Out of 17 shots fired, I had, as I mentioned only 2 FITPs. All of the rest of the shots were very fast. So much so, that an onlooker made a comment about how he always thought Flintlocks were slow to fire and this one seemed to shoot as soon as the flash occured. :grin:

This pistol has a very good sparking lock but the trigger pull is...how should I say..."very Military". That means it takes a frightened soldier to get enough strength to pull the trigger.
When I got home and took the gun apart to clean it I found the source of the heavy trigger.
The sear arm was being pinched by the bridle and was dragging on the sideplate. Also, the sear spring was much stouter than it should have been.
This may be Pedersoli's method of making sure the sear engages the tumbler slots despite the stiff moving sear but it does take some of the fun out of shooting the gun.

To remove the binding of the sear arm, I gently ground some material off of the backside which rubs against the lockplate. I removed only enough material to remove the "pinch" between the bridle and the sear body.
I then removed a little more material (about 2 thicknesses of paper) from the same side, aft of, and in front of the thru hole, leaving the area around the hole standing proud of the material on both sides of it.

I also gently ground just a little of the material off of the lower legs side of the spring starting at the U bend and going forward to the lower tip. The area where the screw is, I left alone.

Between these modificatons the trigger pull is now about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds which is still heavy, but it is a lot better than it was.

Accuracy? Well, remembering this is a .50 caliber smoothbore with a very tapered barrel, a Cannon muzzle bulge and no sights I'll just say I would have got "him" every time.
I actually think I did better when I forgot about "aiming" and just pointed it "thinking thru" or just concentrating on the target as a whole. (I don't know how to describe this any better, but I do know those of you who shoot a lot of pistols know what I mean).

Him, in this case was two 12 X 12 targets posted with one on top and one on the bottom making a 12 inch wide X 24 inch tall zone.
I posted this at 10 yards.
The width of the group was about 6 inches pretty much centered but the vertical height was about 15 inches.

Although there are many who say this pistol isn't exactly "right", I think it does represent the type of pistol carried by some in the French/Indian war era.
Zonie :)

Thanks again Zonie ! :hatsoff: :thumbsup: I think the QA pistol is a cool looking pistol . I'm thankful for advice on how to make it shoot as good as it looks .

I have found that a lot of the inexpensive mass produced flintlocks I have owned, tended to have a slight ignition problem. I started to drill out the touch hole to a slightly larger size and flash in the pans became very rare.

As you will notice in the picture of the modified original on the left, the touch hole was drilled out to .078.
That didn't improve it much and I personally think going larger than .078 isn't a good idea.
Queen-Anne-Mod.jpg

The liner on the left helped a lot. :)

Zonie, I checked out the sear on my QA pistol today and not a problem with dragging. The sear spring, OTOH, was something else! I ground the lower leg of the spring up to around the bend very carefully, testing the spring a couple of times. Didn't see much improvement so went at it again, a bit more aggressively, took about half the width and a third of the thickness off. Put the spring back in, checked it and it was nice and light. Trouble was, it was too light, wouldn't set the sear in the full or half cock. Doggone!! Tried a couple different remedies which didn't work, then heated the spring and opened it up a bit, tempered it and put it in. Voila! Much better. So if anyone else does this modification, don't do what I did and just grind away until it looks like it should work; keep checking it as you go.

Back