• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Missouri River Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colterkid

40 Cal
Reaction score
The Missouri River Hawkens.50 caliber has a 1-24 twist and is supposed to be a long range muzzleloader. The question this newby has is: what type of long range sights do Pedersoli have for such a rifle, and where would you get such a sight?
I've seen pictures of them but have no clue which one to get and where.
Thanks for all your help

Look for a soule rear sight if you're going to shoot long range (300+) otherwise a good peep rear like a Lyman 57GPR or 57SML or a Williams ML FoolProof with target knobs. A front hooded sight maybe? Like the Lyman 17AML or 17AEU. Lee Shaver offers some good long range sights. I believe that Pedersoli also offers a few good long range sights.

I've got one and I bought a Lyman tang peep and a Lee Shaver front sight for mine. Haven't installed it yet though, but I plan on using mine for shooting out further.

The actual Pedersoli after market options aren't as good and are more expensive so I didn't bother with them.

P.s. it's a good gun, and it works!
20210815_185050.jpg

I've got one and I bought a Lyman tang peep and a Lee Shaver front sight for mine. Haven't installed it yet though, but I plan on using mine for shooting out further.

The actual Pedersoli after market options aren't as good and are more expensive so I didn't bother with them.

P.s. it's a good gun, and it works!
View attachment 92609

That is epic 😎 👌

The Missouri River Hawkens.50 caliber has a 1-24 twist and is supposed to be a long range muzzleloader. The question this newby has is: what type of long range sights do Pedersoli have for such a rifle, and where would you get such a sight?
Thanks for all your help

Call Lee shavers. I put his sights on my Renegade.

Attachments

• 20210822_130118.jpg
    20210822_130118.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 85
I HAD one of these. I set it up for long range target shooting. I used Lee Shavers rear soule and aperture front sight. Although I would not use these for hunting, especially in low light situations. To get the most accrucy out of mine I glass bedded the barrel into the stock and never removed the barrel for cleaning. A Hawken style rifle with essentially a two piece barrel system can have minute lateral movements.

I shot 550 grain paper patches bullets using 90 grains of OE 2f. The curved butt plate is not conducive to shooting off bench, prone or sticks (for me). Recoil is heavy. So it went bye bye.

Visit Toby Bridges North American Muzzleloading Hunting website. In the traditional portion of the site he has done extensive testing and shooting with that rifle. Very informative.

I have one, I'm going to put a Soule sight on it and a Pedersoli globe front.

I feel the basic Tang sights offered by Pedersoli won't let me get the best accuracy out of it

Attachments

• 20210101_144927.jpg
    20210101_144927.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201229_182431.jpg
    20201229_182431.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201229_182303.jpg
    20201229_182303.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201229_182520.jpg
    20201229_182520.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201229_182019.jpg
    20201229_182019.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201229_182012.jpg
    20201229_182012.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for all your help

Are you sure it is 1:24 twist? Pedersoli's website claims Missouri River Hawken (both walnut and maple) have 1:47 twist barrels in. 50 cal.

I have their Hawken Hunter which is quite similar. My Hawken does have 1:24 twist and 2 in shorter barrel than Missouri River version.

It comes with a ghost ring sight.

I bought a Lyman GPR 57 receiver peep sight for it a while ago, but the angle of the tang is wrong. So the sight requires a special plate I haven't made yet.

I also tried Pedersoli's "Long Creedmoore tang sight". It fits, but eventually I decided I don't want such a tall tang sight on the gun so I fitted the original ghost sight.

Interestingly the diopter disc from the "Long Creedmoore Sight" can be inserted into the ghost ring aperture. The square plate-nut can be tightened on the back of the disc resulting in a very precise way to shoot for up to 100~150m.

Latest posts

Back