• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Fast twist 50 cal barrel for T/C Hawken or GPR (Pedersoli)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, looking to put together a conical shooter to play around at longer ranges with that my hunting clients could also borrow for elk if need be since our rules are more restrictive here in MT. I’ve been on the hunt for a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken 1:24 with no luck so thought I’d see if anybody has a drop in that would work in one of my other rifles until a Missouri River Hawken turns up. Looking for something in the 28-30” range ideally- the 32” on the GPR is a little unhandy on horseback etc.
Thanks!

Hi all, looking to put together a conical shooter to play around at longer ranges with that my hunting clients could also borrow for elk if need be since our rules are more restrictive here in MT. I’ve been on the hunt for a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken 1:24 with no luck so thought I’d see if anybody has a drop in that would work in one of my other rifles until a Missouri River Hawken turns up. Looking for something in the 28-30” range ideally- the 32” on the GPR is a little unhandy on horseback etc.
Thanks!
Check out rice barrels if you can’t find anything on the used market. I was just looking at them today. Drops right in to the TC Hawken stock and includes Williams sights. The only thing needed is a ramrod. They are available in 2 different barrel lengths.

Check out rice barrels if you can’t find anything on the used market. I was just looking at them today. Drops right in to the TC Hawken stock and includes Williams sights. The only thing needed is a ramrod. They are available in 2 different barrel lengths.
Thank you-I left a message with them this morning, hoping to hear back at some point. Also tried to get ahold of Mr. Hoyt about the possibility of re-boring or lining a barrel for me but his message says not taking any orders until after March. Hoping to have him make a barrel for me when he has time but I’d like something to put together and get dialed in the meantime because this is the only season of the year I have a little time to spare.

Please elaborate on your Distance of anticipated shooting.

Get a Green Mountain Lrh or Have Rice make ya one. Rice will make a slower twist for heavier chunk o lead.

A heavy Conical will reach out there and deliver the goods to most of all North American game animal. A Certain unmentionable Military Cartridge in 1873 proved that with a 405gr lead and 70 Grains of Black powder.

The real deal is getting it there.

My Build isn’t done yet, However it is on its way. I’ll be ordering a rear sight from Skinner… a Stainless one of course. Finger loosening will Allow field Elevation. Simply need to set the sites to certain distance, Loosen knob, twist peep to elevate 1 Turn and know the distance of impact. Then Two full turns… know the distance. Return elevation adjustment and take peep out for a fast woods ghost ring sight set up.

Certainly you can get more involved sight systems… and shoot farther. Yet 150-200 yards is the normal distance game are taken.

This will be my “Long Range” advanced Black powder Rifle.

I don’t imagine myself shooting 300-400 + yards at Elk. Yet I’d like to be able
To Reach a 200yard Antelope. Perhaps a Mule deer in bitter cold temps on horseback hunting out West, someday.
7FEF629A-F504-4F66-8479-197F6DCDEEEE.jpeg
FCE1EF23-78C8-4871-B069-FD9D0FC80BDE.jpeg
45E44200-3F6D-4E75-9143-12AFBF2A32C3.jpeg

That is one nice setup! I’m eager to see how far I’ll be able to shoot accurately-I can shoot out to 1400 yards from my porch so we’ll see if the laser eye surgery was worth the money haha! I’m supposed to be acquiring a prototype vernier style sight similar to the ones used on the unmentionables you refer to but adapted for muzzleloaders. Planning to try the No Excuses conicals first.

I don’t anticipate taking shots at game much beyond 200 yards but would like to try stretching it out on targets and seeing how a muzzleloader can compare to newfangled 1863 tech.

What bullets do you shoot or recommend to try for long range?

Thanks to everyone for the replies, your knowledge and advice is much appreciated.

That is one nice setup! I’m eager to see how far I’ll be able to shoot accurately-I can shoot out to 1400 yards from my porch so we’ll see if the laser eye surgery was worth the money haha! I’m supposed to be acquiring a prototype vernier style sight similar to the ones used on the unmentionables you refer to but adapted for muzzleloaders. Planning to try the No Excuses conicals first.

I don’t anticipate taking shots at game much beyond 200 yards but would like to try stretching it out on targets and seeing how a muzzleloader can compare to newfangled 1863 tech.

What bullets do you shoot or recommend to try for long range?

Thanks to everyone for the replies, your knowledge and advice is much appreciated.
Look up Idaho Ron and you will see his set ups are excellent for adjusting distance precisely. Others have shot at remarkable distances… with simply stock cond Renegades that have great sights. The rifles can do it… sighting is key.

As of now I cast. I’m working on finding a good mold, with the right cast Bhn. Have a few I’ll be testing. My Gm SS Lrh is unfired, untill tomorrow.

If I wasn’t into casting, I’d go with those No excuses. Just get the test kit of various sizes and then proceed with the correct size.

In my theory, after watching a few impressive videos of regular Tc rifles… with stock barrels, I don’t know if an after market barrel is really needed.

Idaho Lewis can hit far distances and does it regularly.

I just liked the Stainless barrel for my Stainless Hawken 😉

I guess the Slow twist is of interest ofcourse.

Gm Lrh.50

75 gr Old Eynsford
383 Gr 8Bhn cast today

50,75,100,144 yard distances

No fancy Lube .. Just a little Crisco.

8307CF1D-0A51-44E6-A026-26362E71A1E8.jpeg
DAFA32B9-CF7D-4157-805E-80682BC5716F.jpeg

Attachments

• 175EC15D-6FAD-4648-ACDD-F6210BB0F0EB.jpeg
    175EC15D-6FAD-4648-ACDD-F6210BB0F0EB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B86EB42D-2443-46DE-8D8E-0FAA2EDA3F5C.jpeg
    B86EB42D-2443-46DE-8D8E-0FAA2EDA3F5C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 06DF3DA1-9005-4FAF-9832-F6164581A6AC.jpeg
    06DF3DA1-9005-4FAF-9832-F6164581A6AC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Please elaborate on your Distance of anticipated shooting.

Get a Green Mountain Lrh or Have Rice make ya one. Rice will make a slower twist for heavier chunk o lead.

A heavy Conical will reach out there and deliver the goods to most of all North American game animal. A Certain unmentionable Military Cartridge in 1873 proved that with a 405gr lead and 70 Grains of Black powder.

The real deal is getting it there.

My Build isn’t done yet, However it is on its way. I’ll be ordering a rear sight from Skinner… a Stainless one of course. Finger loosening will Allow field Elevation. Simply need to set the sites to certain distance, Loosen knob, twist peep to elevate 1 Turn and know the distance of impact. Then Two full turns… know the distance. Return elevation adjustment and take peep out for a fast woods ghost ring sight set up.

Certainly you can get more involved sight systems… and shoot farther. Yet 150-200 yards is the normal distance game are taken.

This will be my “Long Range” advanced Black powder Rifle.

I don’t imagine myself shooting 300-400 + yards at Elk. Yet I’d like to be able
To Reach a 200yard Antelope. Perhaps a Mule deer in bitter cold temps on horseback hunting out West, someday.View attachment 186191View attachment 186192View attachment 186193
PERFECT! You can make a range card for the rifle with basic wind dope as well and tape it to the stock with clear packing tape! Sweet!

:horseback:

Thanks!
If you could use a .45
I know a member here that has a SS.45 Gm Lrh for sale.

The .45 is highly regarded.

Yet I’m pretty sure a .50 is needed/wanted

?

Back