• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli KY Pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelSnavely

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any known problems with the Pedersoli KY flint pistol's touch hole?

I have both the .54 and .45. I haven't fired the .54 yet, but I'm having a problem getting the .45 to fire. I've burned about 20 pans of powder (picking between each load) and haven't been able to get it to fire even one round. I'm only filling the pan about half full or less, trying to get the most "ambient" heat through.

Any knowledge here anyone?

Thanks.

A half-full pan is too full. Are you getting sparks? What powders are you using, pan and barrel?

The pan flashes every time. It just won't go off.
I use FFF in all my guns for both pan and muzzle, except for my sxs shotgun (that gets FF in the bore), and I've never had this problem this bad. Can I change out the liner to a hotter one?

I have no experience with the Pedersoli flint locks. I have Percussions. is the flash channel even open? Constricted or blocked with grease? IMO you should be able to see grains of powder in the touch hole opening. If you can't something is wrong with the ability of the powder to sift/settle back into the flash channel between the tough hole and the charge. (Did you dry ball it?) Did you put enough powder in it? Some guns are such that insufficient powder will permit the ball to be seated back far enough to block the flash channel.

I have the 45 cal Pedersoli KY Pistol and it has fired every time I pull the trigger, however I did drill the touch hole to 5/64ths and slightly coned it before I ever fired it...

I have my Pedersoli KY pistol in .50 and have maybe 2 or 3 flashes in the pan every 45-50 loads but it goes off most of the time. I use 3f for the main charge and 4f for the pan.

I no longer own a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol but as I recall, the vent on it was done properly (although as usual it was too small).

My Pedersoli Queen Anne was another matter.
It's vent hole was small and it was drilled into the face of the breech plug, exposing just a small amount of itself to the inside of the bore.

It might be a good idea to look down the bore with a flashlight and see if you can see the vent hole across the face of the breech plug.
They may have done the same thing to your Kentucky that they did to my Queen Anne.

To see what I'm talking about, follow this link.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...93295/post/263703/hl/"Queen+Ann"/fromsearch/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back