• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Flinter Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking about breaking into flintlocks this year and I've decided it's going to be a pistol. I already have a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .54 cal percussion and I'm leaning towards the .58 cal flinter, though I've read that the locks can be problematic. Any recommendations or ideas? Thanks

Make the caliber the same as your rifles. You won't have to have two sizes of ball. If that's not a problem then have fun.
^^^ What he said... Of my 7 Muzzleloaders, 6 are .50 cal and the other is a .62 smoothbore... No way to mix up balls that way... A lot easier to just grab 1 pouch for the 50's and not worry about missing something,,, All that being said if a screaming deal jumps in front of you grab it and worry about caliber later...

I'm thinking about the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in .54 cal. Anyone have one? The maple stocked version is awfully pretty, but expensive.

I'm thinking about the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in .54 cal. Anyone have one? The maple stocked version is awfully pretty, but expensive.
I have the maple one. I have only shot it five or six times but would give it a generally positive review. It is pretty well fit and is reliable and seems accurate at the short ranges I've shot it. On the negative side, it has a pretty heavy trigger and the sights it came with were quite modern looking and seemed very out of place on it. They were very easily replaced with ones I got from Track of the Wolf. Others on this forum have stated that heavy loads could damage the stock. I shoot it with 30 gr fffg.

Back