• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle Rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle flinter in .45 and have owed it for about 4 years. While I am a meticulous cleaner there are rust spots where the breech seals in the inside of the barrel. I noticed them while cleaning the gun after shooting. Naturally my concern is that eventually this will get to the threads of the breech but right now it is minor and I want to stop this before it gets worse. I have tried using steel wool on a jag but it doesn't get to the very edged where the rust shows up. My bore scope is cheap and doesn't have a way to capture pics or I would attach them.

Dare I drop some rust dissolver down there to get rid of it? I don't want to ruin the barrel. Any recommendations?

Ah, the joys of the patent breech. (not a fan). I have same rifle in .50. Employ a bore caliber breech scraper and sub-caliber brush to get into the breech channel followed by penetrating oil then repeat after a few days and see what comes out?

Rust is like cancer: if you don't get it early, you have a problem.

The rust is not in the chamber, it is where the breech meets the bore. I will take you advice about the scraper for that interface. I agree that the "patent breech" is a royal pain. This one is not unlike the CVA breeches where the touch hole liner is threaded into the breech plug. Removal and cleaning is not an option.

Latest posts

Back