• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle Rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle flinter in .45 and have owed it for about 4 years. While I am a meticulous cleaner there are rust spots where the breech seals in the inside of the barrel. I noticed them while cleaning the gun after shooting. Naturally my concern is that eventually this will get to the threads of the breech but right now it is minor and I want to stop this before it gets worse. I have tried using steel wool on a jag but it doesn't get to the very edged where the rust shows up. My bore scope is cheap and doesn't have a way to capture pics or I would attach them.

Dare I drop some rust dissolver down there to get rid of it? I don't want to ruin the barrel. Any recommendations?

Ah, the joys of the patent breech. (not a fan). I have same rifle in .50. Employ a bore caliber breech scraper and sub-caliber brush to get into the breech channel followed by penetrating oil then repeat after a few days and see what comes out?

Rust is like cancer: if you don't get it early, you have a problem.

The rust is not in the chamber, it is where the breech meets the bore. I will take you advice about the scraper for that interface. I agree that the "patent breech" is a royal pain. This one is not unlike the CVA breeches where the touch hole liner is threaded into the breech plug. Removal and cleaning is not an option.

Back