• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a nice looking pistol. Quite a challenge to work around and within the work Pedersoli had already performed.

I ended up browning the lock and buffing it out/off with 0000 steel wool like the barrel and this is her now. I think I like this much better than the heat treated look.

Attachments

• 72086B09-B4B2-432D-B4AB-9CF91388711C.jpeg
    72086B09-B4B2-432D-B4AB-9CF91388711C.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 90
Neighbor gave me some scrap “barn” wood and I made a pistol loading stand and a display stand. I call it the “Rustic Crude” collection, lol. The stand should really aid with loading. Feels like it could use some corner bracing. I’ll find out when I put it to good use this weekend when I shoot it for the first time.

Attachments

• 77D43117-56FC-4907-AD89-C822C5F7ADFA.jpeg
    77D43117-56FC-4907-AD89-C822C5F7ADFA.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 68
  • 2F78DA74-D3DF-49E2-ABEC-0DE30BA54AAE.jpeg
    2F78DA74-D3DF-49E2-ABEC-0DE30BA54AAE.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
Well she makes fire and smoke! My daughter even took a few shots with it. The loading stand worked great and made loading a breeze. I need to work on the rifling at the crown, it’s very sharp and would cut some of the patches. Pillow ticking patches with .490 balls were a “no go” and I had to use some very thin cleaning patches instead. Otherwise she performed flawlessly and I couldn’t be happier with the way the kit turned out!

Attachments

• F3EA16B4-48A7-45CB-9942-AADB291C4AF8.jpeg
    F3EA16B4-48A7-45CB-9942-AADB291C4AF8.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 47
Did you end up welding material on the tang? I don’t think I read that you had but did see the pic of the original kit DGW sent. I’m currently looking those kits myself. Your pistol looks great and gives me some ideas!

Ended up just lightly peening the end of the tang to swedge the metal outward at the top to close the gap. Then filed it to clean it up. It didn’t require a lot of work. Just have to be careful to fully support it because the tang sidewalls are very thin where the tang bolt goes through. Good luck with your build. Be sure to post pics, love to see it.

The stand should really aid with loading.
The stand looks good for display, but there was a comment on a previous thread that warned against loading a pistol on a vertical stand, because it puts extra pressure on the wrist, and could cause it to crack. YMMV.
I'm waiting for my pistol kit to arrive, and I like the finishing info you provided. Thanks!

Update on my pistol kit. It has been very reliable and shooting great. I’ve really enjoyed it. This weekend I stripped all the browning off the barrel, lock and screws. Also removed all the barrel lettering info. Then final sanded with 320-400 for a natural look to match my recent Ped Kentucky rifle customization project. Also did a little muzzle treatment as well. I really like the natural look of the unfinished metal and will just let it age naturally.
CD893D68-EBBB-47B4-849A-B22161B046CD.jpeg

Update on my pistol kit. It has been very reliable and shooting great. I’ve really enjoyed it. This weekend I stripped all the browning off the barrel, lock and screws. Also removed all the barrel lettering info. Then final sanded with 320-400 for a natural look to match my recent Ped Kentucky rifle customization project. Also did a little muzzle treatment as well. I really like the natural look of the unfinished metal and will just let it age naturally.
View attachment 126520
Looks beautiful. You said it was a pistol kit, wondering where you got the kit? I’m looking to build one this winter to go with my flintlock. I’m looking for one in 40 cal though so I don’t have to carry different size balls and accessories. Seems a bit challenging to find so far.

Back