• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Flintlock Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aran

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone own one of these? Are they any good? Looking at a .50 cal for a reasonable price considering my location. Thanks. Aran

I've had a .50 Cal Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol for 5 years and love it. I replaced the trigger with a set-trigger to get better control but that's it. I have no trouble staying in the black on an NMLRA pistol target at 25 and 50 yards all day long.

After you swap out the trigger and lighten some springs you will love it. Oh. And drill out the patent breech

I built this one from a kit and added a few extra parts to customize it. Lock is untouched and it has always fired every time. Great little pistol.

--John R.

I have a couple, one a Silver Star custom assembled for me in Italy, and I like them much though I will say I do not LOVE the grips of any blackpowder pistols. Even the SAA. I do mean not "any" so don't go by me on that particular aspect.

The only thing I don't like about the Pedersoli Kentucky pistols is the method of holding the barrel into the stock.

The rear is fine but the front of the barrel is held in place by a screw that comes up thru the bottom of the nosecap.

There is a rather thin piece of the stocks wood that is less than 1/8 inch thick.
It becomes entrapped between the cap and the barrel and this is all that holds the front of the barrel in place.

While this seems to work with moderate powder charges, a heavy powder load or a heavy slug fired in the barrel can produce enough recoil to shear off the projecting thin piece of stock wood.

When I made a new stock for the Pedersoli hardware I added a steel underlug to the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle.
I then cut a notch in the bottom of the barrel channel for this underlug to fit into.

Drilling thru the stock and the underlug and installing a 5/64 (.078) steel pin, the muzzle is now tightly held in place with no chance of shearing off any of the stock wood.

You can see the pin in the center of the German Silver inlay.

Armymedic, I have one in 54 and it starts misfiring after 3 to 5 shots and I have to clean it to get it to fire again. Is your suggestion to drill out the patent breech a fix for this?? If so exactly how do you do it??? Thanks.

Dave

OK2Smoke said:
I built this one from a kit and added a few extra parts to customize it. Lock is untouched and it has always fired every time. Great little pistol.

--John R.

John, that is a really beautiful pistol you created, and it is inspiring me to consider getting a kit in the future and doing similar modifications. What extra parts did you order, as in the actual parts numbers, if you have them? Can you recommend any visual references that you used for the changes in the stock architecture that you made? Many thanks.

I bought all of the 'Extra' parts from Track of the Wolf.

The best thing, is just to go on their web-site and look at what they have. Pretty much everything was listed for 'Kentucky' style pistols.

I added a new trigger guard, buttcap, front sight in nickel silver, the rear ramrod tube, and the barrel wedge hardware. I have since also browned the barrel.

The barrel wedge is also functional, in that on the Pedersoli's the barrel is only secured in the front by a small screw going through a very thin piece of wood.

I came up with the stock design by searching 'Kentucky pistols' and looking at lots of pictures I found on the web.

--John R.

Zonie, that is a stellar looking gun. John's custom adaptation too.

One of mine...

Thanks for the information, John. Again, a beautiful pistol you have created from humble origins!

A great looking firearm. :hatsoff: You have a good affinity to firearms even if you don't like gritts. :grin:

Yes that is my suggestion. After doing it i took my pistol out and fired it thirty times without picking the vent or even tapping the pistol. Visible powder at vent every time i loaded. Crazy fast ignition. It still has a patent breech. But its .3 so ething now instead of .18. Huge difference. I made an Extra long bit and drilled it out from the muzzle. Im in columbia county ny. U close enough to come by one day and we fix it?

Zonie said:
The only thing I don't like about the Pedersoli Kentucky pistols is the method of holding the barrel into the stock.

The rear is fine but the front of the barrel is held in place by a screw that comes up thru the bottom of the nosecap.

There is a rather thin piece of the stocks wood that is less than 1/8 inch thick.
It becomes entrapped between the cap and the barrel and this is all that holds the front of the barrel in place.

While this seems to work with moderate powder charges, a heavy powder load or a heavy slug fired in the barrel can produce enough recoil to shear off the projecting thin piece of stock wood.

When I made a new stock for the Pedersoli hardware I added a steel underlug to the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle.
I then cut a notch in the bottom of the barrel channel for this underlug to fit into.

Drilling thru the stock and the underlug and installing a 5/64 (.078) steel pin, the muzzle is now tightly held in place with no chance of shearing off any of the stock wood.

You can see the pin in the center of the German Silver inlay.

AH! The screw through the nose cap dilema. What a crummy way to build a gun. Half the time when you get the screw tight it pulls the cap away from the wood and just looks like dog barf. Pedersoli isn't the only company that does it either. My fix is to instal an underlug and pin it like Zonie did then pour a pewter nose cap that FITS.

Back