• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For target shooting: Pedersoli‘s Mortimer or Tatham&Egg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you stated a smoothbore is required for MLAIC matches. It will be tough to compete against a rifled barrel.

For target shooting I believe the Tatham /Egg to be the better pistol as I like the design of the grip. Just make an attempt to view the actual pistol you wish to purchase as some come through with better wood than others.
Hope this helps.

another thing to keep in mindhowever is that you are only shooting against yourself regardless of how many people are in the match. the only thing you have any control over is how well you shoot. it matters not what the other person is doing or what kind of kit they have.

That's a good way of looking at it!

I Don't know but I suspect that the rifling is more critical out of the pistol. That's not to say that you couldn't get really good with the smooth bore pistol. I know my friend Brian has won several overall matches shooting his smooth bore long guns. My suggestion was that if you really wanted to compete in both categories the only way you could do it without buying two pistols would be to buy the smooth bore first and then save up for the rifled at a later date. Regardless of which path you take you still need to just focus on your own game and not even think about the competition. That's just a distraction that doesn't do anything to improve your score. The only thing that will improve your score is to do all the right things that you need to do to get the hits. Control your breath and follow through. I am quite certain that Brian purposely tells me how he did just to mess with my head.

There was a fellow in Germany, I think, that won the top score with a smooth bore flintlock pistol. Unbelievable groups , I don’t remember the distance.

except when that one guy who is really good with a smooth bore smokes everyone. This guy did just that at southern VT biathlon last year. I
NKG_4019.jpg

I don't recall how he did in the biathlon though I suspect it was good I do know he won the bullseye side match.

i have one Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock in .45 shot´s good.
If you are not shoting Flintlock get a Feinwerkbau Underhammerpistol most bang for the buck.

I just got a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock 54 cal. Only had it to the range once, so far, but it shot very accurately and it's a beautiful rifle. Came with open sights and a rear aperture.

I just got a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock 54 cal. Only had it to the range once, so far, but it shot very accurately and it's a beautiful rifle. Came with open sights and a rear aperture.

Although I was looking for comments on the Mortimer pistol the rifle is very interesting as well! Do you have the Deluxe model with the decorations?

Latest posts

Back