• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Carbine...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Kabosky with

Just might do that. Back Creek is where I get my BP. John invited me to the N-SSA. I live in Harper's Ferry. Just started snowing here...
Kaboskey is N-SSA and he casts for Lodgewood. If you don't already have a mold, I'd suggest getting a sampler from him, size, lube and shoot for load development. When you settle on a load, then buy the mold.

Kaboskey is N-SSA and he casts for Lodgewood. If you don't already have a mold, I'd suggest getting a sampler from him, size, lube and shoot for load development. When you settle on a load, then buy the mold.
I understand the logic, I don't see me casting bullets. Lead being hard to get I don't want the hassle.

I understand the logic, I don't see me casting bullets. Lead being hard to get I don't want the hassle.
The foray into shooting minis isn’t an easy one. If you’re not going to measure and cast your own, and do some sizing you may want to try patched roundballs. Buying precast minis online of different sizes will get frustrating quickly. I know this from experience. I bought and sold half a dozen molds, and two sizing does until I found the correct ones for my two rifles.

I agree on the roundballs. They kick pretty hard with minies (as already stated). Great guns. There were not a lot made, as is true with most CS guns. I gave mine to my wife as it fits her better. I use a JP Murrey- the stock works for my shooting. Keep this carbine and enjoy it. They are wonderful guns.
David

The foray into shooting minis isn’t an easy one. If you’re not going to measure and cast your own, and do some sizing you may want to try patched roundballs. Buying precast minis online of different sizes will get frustrating quickly. I know this from experience. I bought and sold half a dozen molds, and two sizing does until I found the correct ones for my two rifles.
I've been doing patched round balls for several years. Hopefully, Mr. Sabosky will be able be able to provide a reliable .58 mini.

Preacher we would really enjoy having you in the N-SSA. There are 16 skirmishes at Ft. Shenandoah this year including 2 Nationals. If you like to shoot this is the place to be! Our team (2nd. VA Vol. Inf.) has 4 members living in Harpers Ferry.

Take what dave951 tells you as gospel. Finding the correct size mini is the first priority followed by a good lube. It's a different ball game and a lot of fun. BTW, that carbine doesn't have to kick with a mini, you will find an accurate load between 40 and 50 grains and possible even less. Back Creek is the place to get powder and caps. I've known Jackie for 46 years, lived in VA a little longer than that, and I've never bought even an ounce of powder from anyone else.

It started snowing at my house, just north of the Fort, at 1:00 so the guys shooting the Snowball missed out but it was 20 degrees this morning to make up for it. If shooting in the snow isn't your thing then we shoot in the rain too. :D

Preacher we would really enjoy having you in the N-SSA. There are 16 skirmishes at Ft. Shenandoah this year including 2 Nationals. If you like to shoot this is the place to be! Our team (2nd. VA Vol. Inf.) has 4 members living in Harpers Ferry.

Take what dave951 tells you as gospel. Finding the correct size mini is the first priority followed by a good lube. It's a different ball game and a lot of fun. BTW, that carbine doesn't have to kick with a mini, you will find an accurate load between 40 and 50 grains and possible even less. Back Creek is the place to get powder and caps. I've known Jackie for 46 years, lived in VA a little longer than that, and I've never bought even an ounce of powder from anyone else.

It started snowing at my house, just north of the Fort, at 1:00 so the guys shooting the Snowball missed out but it was 20 degrees this morning to make up for it. If shooting in the snow isn't your thing then we shoot in the rain too. :D
Kawkeye - thanks so much. I plan to look into dave951's useful information. This is what I was looking for, to be pointed to some resources.

John (Jackie) gave me a brochure & encouraged me to come out. I enjoyed my visit with him & our conversation. I plan to go back for more BP, since he's nearby.

Looking at the N-SSA website I saw the calendar and the 16 skirmishes you mention. I'd look forward to participating, but I have a question - I have a church, and on Sunday's I'm obligated to them. I can probably get a replacement for 4-Sunday's throughout the year. So, my question is if I'm part of a N-SSA team competing Fri-Sun will I be obligated for Sunday's? This was a question I was hoping to get an answer to this weekend. Regardless, I still want to be a part of the N-SSA in some way even if I can't compete as part of a tea. Thanks again for the invitation.

I agree on the roundballs. They kick pretty hard with minies (as already stated). Great guns. There were not a lot made, as is true with most CS guns. I gave mine to my wife as it fits her better. I use a JP Murrey- the stock works for my shooting. Keep this carbine and enjoy it. They are wonderful guns.
David
David - I recently got an original Henry Nock fowler ( c. 1850) I'm looking to shoot. The bore measures .745, which is 11-12ga. I'm expecting some heavy impact from this one :)

Preacher the usual schedule for a skirmish is the rifle-musket team competition on Sunday morning and the repeater (Henry) match in the afternoon. Saturdays will be revolver team, carbine team, smoothbore team and sometimes artillery and mortar matches. Individual matches are held on Fridays and time permitting Saturdays too. Skirmish schedules vary somewhat depending on the host team. I'm not sure about skipping the rifle-musket match Sunday as the entire organization grew around that. I know that some teams have a rule that you must shoot rifle-musket but I don't know if that's a National rule and my rule book is buried somewhere in the basement.

Preacher the usual schedule for a skirmish is the rifle-musket team competition on Sunday morning and the repeater (Henry) match in the afternoon. Saturdays will be revolver team, carbine team, smoothbore team and sometimes artillery and mortar matches. Individual matches are held on Fridays and time permitting Saturdays too. Skirmish schedules vary somewhat depending on the host team. I'm not sure about skipping the rifle-musket match Sunday as the entire organization grew around that. I know that some teams have a rule that you must shoot rifle-musket but I don't know if that's a National rule and my rule book is buried somewhere in the basement.
Ok, thanks.

Hawkeye - Just came back from Back Creek (Jackie's). Picked up some BP and talked about the schedule for skirmishes, which coincides with what you told me previous. With Saturday's shooting carbine that would enable me to be there. John said he's with the 5th VA Infantry. You mentioned you were are with the 2nd. VA Vol. Inf. that has 4 members living in Harpers Ferry. Regardless, I'm going to move forward with a membership, since I'll be able to shoot on Sat's. Thanks for the information and encouragement to join. Let's make sure we meet in person.

The BEST source of precast minie type bullets is this guy-

Pat Kaboskey
https://www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html
You can get sizing dies from this guy-
https://www.northeasttradeco.com/online-store/SIZING-DIES-Threaded-c22095488
He also has them unthreaded for use in an arbor press.

And NO, a sizing die does NOT "trim" a bullet. What it does is to swage a bullet into round and a certain diameter. You can swage different bullets to varying degrees. Some designs won't tolerate much while others can be swaged as much as .008. NO, a sizing die does not increase a bullet's diameter.
Spoke with John at North East Trade. He's very accommodating & helpful. Appreciate you connecting me with him... I've not received from Pat, yet, the sizing bullets. I'm sure he's busy, but I'll call him this week to get a status if I've not heard from him, since it's been 2-wks... Thanks

Back