• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC French and Indian 20/.62?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are correct. A quick survey of the Grinslade Flintlock Fowlers book reveals that many of the recycled euro barrels were about 1.5 mm at the muzzle. If Getz or Rayl are lurking here it would be nice to hear from them.

Getting back to the 1740s civilian arm concept, I think this forum indicates that there is a demand for components that date earlier than what is commonly available. I would like to see a top tier manufacturer like Chambers or Davis offer a couple of big early locks with banana shaped plates and no pan bridle. One could be Dutch/English roundfaced and the other might be Germanic and flat flaced.

If Getz or Rayl are lurking here it would be nice to hear from them.
Not likely, all they'd hear is "WHERE THE HELL'S MY BARREL!" :haha:
Fowling guns can be really thin at the muzzle 1/16" or less. Most all the originals I've sen were very thin.

rsblack said:
paulvallandigham said:
This long a barrel is a custom order deal. The muzzle can be as wide, or " Thick " as you want it to be. The total length of that gun will be about 7 feet long, I hope you realize. That is far longer than most men are tall.

Why a .71 Caliber? Are you talking a rifle, or smoothbore? A .72 Caliber would allow you to use a lot of easily available 12 gauge wads and RBs.
I have a half-finished barrel,it is smothbore cal.71 and 7mm thick.

Again: Why the old caliber? Or are you cursed by the metric system in this regard?

Well, I just consulted my gauge/caliber chart, and .710" is a 13 gauge diameter. You are in luck. you can buy 13 gauge wads, and components through Circle Fly, or from other suppliers you can find by going to member resources on the index page here, and looking for " Links". Perhaps there are European suppliers of this kind of thing that can provide it to you cheaper, considering where you are living.

Perhaps there are European suppliers of this kind of thing that can provide it to you cheaper

I doubt that. I buy all my supplies from Track of the Wolf, their prices are very reasonable especially with the current $/€ exchange rate, it takes 4 to 5 days from the time of order to delivery. It would be hard to beat that.

Do something like this:
Fowl1.jpg

OK, rather fancier than normal, but you get the picture...

Put a big round faced English lock on it, and normal English hardware of the period and you'd have an English gun. During this time and earlier, they were pretty heavily influenced by the Dutch (as evidenced by the Brown Bess musket...).

That would be way cool. Tom Grinsdale has a picture of a Dutch hunting gun in his book on Colonial fowers made by H. Sleur circa 1730. The pictures are small and he doesn't detail the gun but I'd love to know more about it. It doesn't appear to be a fancy gun possibly made for the Native trade? The lock looks similer to some of the germanic style locks being made by Davis or Chambers today.

Back