• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn Shop 50cal with Plastic Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXRanchMedic

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This morning I stopped at a pawn shop to window shop. Rumor had it that they had some BP supplies (balls, wads, caps, etc), but they didn't. They did have 2 BP arms in rough shape. The first was a plastic stocked Hawkens style rifle, single trigger, ram that was threaded on both ends, and very much in a neglected rusting shape. It was make in Spain, but that was all I could read on it. They were asking $99 for it. The other was a brass frame 1851 that was rusted shut. They thought it was a prize at $399. :shocked2:
So back to the rifle, I have a used Cabelas Hawkens that I like. Is $99 too much for a project BP Rifle?

IMO their prices are aimed at some dummy who doesn't know a thing about black powder guns.
You can be sure they didn't think the guns were worth $20 when they bought them. :rotf:

The rifle was probably a $99 rifle when it was brand new in the box.

If the barrels bore is rusted (and it most likely looks far worse than the outside of the gun) it might be worth $50 although I would have to think long and hard before offering that much.

Likewise, their pistol was a $140 gun when it was brand new.
Contrary to what they believe a rusted brass framed replica 1851 isn't worth much, even as a parts gun. Of course they are hoping you don't know that.

You might offer them $50 for both of them. At $25 each they could offer you something to play with and at $50 they are probably doubling their investment cost.

Sounds steep to me. If it is a CVA Bobcat, like I suspect, it would be probably worth @$99 in real good condition around here... but it still wouldn't sell very fast.
:idunno: , but I'd hold out for a better deal or a better gun in better shape.
Keep an eye on the classifieds here. I've seen some good deals go thru there. :thumbsup:

Oh, the revolver nearly made me laugh over the price. I was just curious about the rifle. I haven't seen a plastic stock of that style.

About five years ago, my Walmart had a bunch of those Bobcat rifles on sale for $59. I think they sold out in just over a day. I hear the brand new not-on-sale price is somewhere just under a $100. If you shop around, you might find some on sale, and get a new one really cheap.

The amount wanted by the pawn shop is the sucker price. Bill

I bought a friend one for his birthday (and to stop him trying to "borrow" my CVA St. Louis Hawken all the time :grin: ) for $50 about 5-6 years ago if it's a CVA Bobcat. He still has it and it shoots fine, but I wouldn't pay that price for a used one. Maybe at $50-60 if I was just going to use it for a beater to keep under the seat or for horrible weather hunting where the gun and I will both stay soaked for days.

:shocked2: STAY AWAY! FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THAT SHOP! For $99.00 I picked-up a minty Navy Arms Ithica Hawken with browned barrels a couple years ago. It was missing a ramrod. Now that's a deal! The pawn shop probably paid little to nothing for those POS's, and is looking for a RUBE to buy them. So make sure that you're NOT THE RUBE!

Dave

I'm not buying them. Especially not the pistol. I've just never seen a plastic stock on a traditional style rifle and wondered about the value. The wood stocked ones that I've seen have been $300 and up. The idea of a beater rifle or a trainer rifle did cross my mind.

I have two of those synthetic stocked rifles. One CVA, one Lyman. The CVA was given to me (he went to an inline) and the Lyman cost me $40. Both were in like new condition, in fact, the Lyman had never been fired.

So, I agree with the others. Leave those BP arms just where they are.

Incidentally, I gave the CVA to my youngest son and the Lyman to his older brother.

Would a .54 cal Bobcat be a good first BP rifle?

I have a chance to trade some snowshoes for one and the price of these guns seems on par with the value of the shoes.

This would get me a gun and out shooting this summer rather than drooling till this fall when I can buy something better.

At best for 50 bucks for the pair they might be usefull for parts guns if one had similar guns allready in the gun cabinet, a friend of mine has a Bobcat and I would look long and hard for something else before I would buy one of those and I have owned many of the production guns from Italy and Spain over the last 40 years but the Bobcat is one that just turns me off about as fast as anything, even those re-tooled mdl 70's that load from the front, just my opinion, if you can't even get close to looking like a real ML why bother?

Why not if you are not using the snowshoes? It will get you up and running until you can afford something you want, besides by then you will have all/most of your accessories. :thumbsup:

Well the gun is mine the next time the guy is in town, which will be in a couple weeks.

Now to start gathering powder, balls, patches, etc....

Let the addiction begin.

Sure sounds like a CVA Bobcat. My first sidelock was a Bobcat. It was $52 at WalMart. It was an o.k. starter gun but not even worth the $52 in my opinion.

HD

Bilder,
Don't let some of the fellows turn you off, take the Bobcat and get to shooting. I keep 3 of them here for the kids to use at several special shoots and they work just fine. They are durable and can be accurate with the right load and a little practice. Not everyone shoots an expensive factory or custom rifle but a lot of common folks bring home the venison or a trophy now and then.
Mark :thumbsup:

I have no doubt that a Bobcat will shoot just fine. It will get me into shooting BP without breaking the bank.

I would prefer a gun with a wood stock, but for now I will get by with a composite. Thinking of maybe buying a kit this fall for something to keep me busy next winter.

Back