• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern paper..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red rosin paper of course....36in x 167ft and $13 dollars at lowes home(shooting) improvement

Attachments

• 20240317_173812.jpg
    20240317_173812.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_163058.jpg
    20240317_163058.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
It amazes me when people talk about a pattern plate for shotgun loads I personally never use one because my shooting is done flying and for ground game on the move .For shooting flying the pattern is totally different to shooting at a stationary plate here in the uk it is classed has unsporting to shoot sitting birds
Feltwad
Not trying to argue about that being a litte dumb.

Waterfowl it's a no..

Pats you get off the gravel trails up north. No dog. By yourself walking nice all morning on the trails not getting lost. It's good hunting.

In the woods Pheasant hunt. I've head shot a few out a tree and if not to close to the dog pointed.. I'll shoot them in the head..

To be honest most other guys in the woods send all the birds everywhere. They need to find ten birds to just get one..

the presurve big money city hunters... they want it to look like out west so they stock allot... more than one birds fly up at a time and they they miss them all....

Turkey you can't shoot from a roost.. other than that I hope for a good shot. One where there not walk run away.

Last edited:
The pattern is the same flying...

Your not throwing a line of shot its a pattern..

Your swing and follow threw momentum is a different story being told..

The shot is all together leaving a gun.. and that opens up over distance. How's it going to string out the muzzle when it's all together being driven 80grns bp like that... even better all in a cup. What string of shot?

I'd check it.. I ran a hard nitro threw my turkey choke yesterday.. it looked like a cylinder bores pattern. You never know.

Last edited:
In still working on it.. I think. My turkey gun..

Then I gotta try the 10ga more.. just overshot did best so I was surprised. Saves me money.

I been using the printer paper right now.. staple it all up there.

Most the patterns were on center enough to use.. the ones I missed I threw away and redo

Attachments

• 20240510_125842.jpg
    20240510_125842.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240510_125657.jpg
    20240510_125657.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 0
I met a guy no dog that usually had a cock or two..

He was going during the week early walking the fields edges and trails getting them off the ground like that..

He even creeps up on the ones cocking in the woods...

He's getting them nice I thought.

I actually found a example..

Is not that much strung out.. I ounce thought it did it more also but you would have to have everything leaving the gun like a garden hose.

the full choke had the biggest affect and at that it's not that much. Going to open round.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240510_134939_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240510_134939_Chrome~2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
At that the test target was moving in that example. That probably strung the shot more than the guns swing... it's not even a good example.

He could do it. String the hell of of a shot pattern. 🤣

I thought the same. I had to look it up.

Last edited:
I was eyeing that at the shops office 😆 I should ask..

I could just shoot the prints.. there no good. They Give you a new set every week with changes..

I ounce did a whole job without an approved set of prints. The GC was like how? I was like f it man. Means no extras and they got what they wanted the first time. No waist no gong back no changes it was great.

Last edited:

Amazon: $24 shipped​

Eco Kraft Wrapping Paper Roll (Jumbo) | Biodegradable Recycled Material | Made in the USA | Multi-use: Natural Wrapping Paper, Table Runner, Moving, Packing & Shipping | 30” x 1200” (100ft)​

Went to school in Philadelphia. Sometimes after class would beg sheets of that paper from salesladies at the Wanamaker store. Took them to the observation platform 500 plus feet up on tyhe City Hall tower and sent them off as giant paper airplanes. That stopped when we discovered girls.

I have found an excellent pattern paper in old Xmas paper. The back side is white and normally 32 inches wide. Broken up into one inch squares. Nothing could be better.
Doc,

I tell you, if I have to hear one more time … , “We BRITs don’t shoot birds on the ground …

That’s because you don’t have turkeys over there Sir!

Patterning can also tell you if your shot column is hitting above or below, or to let the right of the point of the shot …

You should know that, as there are many things one can do to regulate where the center of the shot column impacts, angle of the heel, drop on the comb, etc.

I’d go so far as to say it would be unsportsman-like to go hunting not knowing where your gun truly hits!

I tell you, if I have to hear one more time … , “We BRITs don’t shoot birds on the ground …

That’s because you don’t have turkeys over there Sir!

Patterning can also tell you if your shot column is hitting above or below, or to let the right of the point of the shot …

You should know that, as there are many things one can do to regulate where the center of the shot column impacts, angle of the heel, drop on the comb, etc.

I’d go so far as to say it would be unsportsman-like to go hunting not knowing where your gun truly hits!

I didn't think they hunt much compared to here anyway...

Even just in Massachusetts. I have allot of good hunting.

There's eve fox hunting around. With the horse and all.

Could run a long list just around new England... bear hunting.. bear over bait. Bear with dog.. moose lottery. The bunny's. Birds... the waterfowl.. turkey. Deer. I can keep going.

Last edited:
$0 dollars for end rolls at the local newspaper. They let you take of the loading dock as the won't have to pay to have them hauled off. Used to get them for the daycare in town for the kid's artwork. Kept many for using for patterning at my gun club

When I used to shootshotguns frequently , used to use those company desk addendum pads. The fronts had a calender , but the backs were blank.

It amazes me when people talk about a pattern plate for shotgun loads I personally never use one because my shooting is done flying and for ground game on the move .For shooting flying the pattern is totally different to shooting at a stationary plate here in the uk it is classed has unsporting to shoot sitting birds
Feltwad

While the local skeet range is next to the air port and we do have banner towing planes/services in the area, I'm not so sure many of 'em would be willing to do a slow-n-low flyby with a strip of butcher paper hanging off the back end so we can pattern our guns as if we were shooting at a bird on the wing...

That said, patterning at a static target will still show if there are holes in your pattern or like a buddy experienced if the left barrel and right barrel are both kinda off and end up throwing the pattern 3-4 feet away from each other at 30 yards, with each one off from the bead by about a foot and a half. I could see him on a skeet field with that now - "Dunno whats up with me on stations 3 thru 6, I don't gotta lead 'em as much from the high tower but the low tower it seems I can never catch up to them!"

The target moving is no good.. just swing and fire at the board.. it's not going to do it. If you're trying to see if the swing had any affect on pattern..

your just lucky if you don't stop swinging to fire and the birds pass by.

Back