• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern for a French Cowhide Pack from the War of 1912?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm looking for a pattern to make a FRENCH Infantry Cowhide Pack (The one with the hair tanned on) of the War of 1812 period, as that's the sort of pack used by the Mexican Army in the 1830s.
(The Mexican Commissary General bought a great deal of French/English surplus goods.)

yours, satx

I've never seen one, but if you could get the dimensions and a few photos I bet you could come pretty close making your own pattern.

Keep us posted if you find anything. Lotta hair-on cowhide around and I've been looking for uses.

The ONLY French Infantry pack that I've seen was behind glass & NOT at all close. - Somehow, I seriously doubt that they would let me inspect/measure it at close range.

yours, satx

BTW, I'm no expert on 1812 Period French Knapsacks, but it seems some were also made with only two straps/buckles and were a bit smaller than the one in the link above. Maybe that is the slightly earlier War of 1812 Knapsack with the two straps and the Later War one with three straps? The one in the link above might be the Grenadier Version or "Old Guard" Version, but it is not entirely clear to me.

One more time I wished I had studied French in school instead of German.

Gus

Might be where I saw it. Long time ago passing through towns with brief stops. If you get there and get pics, I'd love to see them!

Back