• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched undersized balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm a cheapskate to a fault at times. Many years ago I was given a few ball molds. Mostly Lee but there was one Rapine and one Lyman. The Rapine is a nominal .670".

I own two 12 gauge smoothbores. One mikes .722" the other is .728". The Rapine casts pure lead balls at .672". I on a whim dug it out and cast a few today. I then miked two cotton flannel cleaning patches stacked on top of one another and it was .030" with normal pressure and .022" compressed.

Lubed up the two stacked patches and with easy thumb pressure the ball can be seated in the muzzle. There is no 'slop' in the bore what so ever. But it loads easy enough I think it will allow for some fouling to build up and still be able to be loaded.

So has anyone successfully tried to use undersized balls with extra thick patching? I need to find some proper tight weave cotton cloth before attempting this but I think it might be worth a shot. It would save me money I would otherwise spend on a larger diameter mold if it works. Any ideas on extra thick patching material?
When I was a kid, I used a .50 calibre CVA Mountain Rifle for many many years.

I found that if I ran out of .490 RBs, I could use thick denim as patching and continue shooting with .440 RBs...I used less powder and accuracy didn't suffer. Essentially, my .50 calibre rifle became a .45 at times...

I love that ole gun.

Back