• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch lube question from a greenhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metroplexchl

Pilgrim
Reaction score
hello all, I'm new here and love the site.

Question about patches. From what I gather from watching youtube is that you basically put some bore butter on a patch, then you put the patch on the end of the rifle so that the lube side touches the rifling, then the bullet, then boom.

Is that correct? I read somewhere that bore butter is adequate and so/so at best. ANy site suggestions for how to make some home brew lube?

thanks in advance!

chris

Chris,
Just get yourself a block of lard or some Olive oil from the supermarket and saturate your patches. You're ready to shoot.

I mix one part beeswax with three parts peanut oil. Melt it in an old tincan on the stove and then let it cool. Before it solidifies, pour it into a small shallow jar. Let it turn solid. Rub one side of the patch on the surface of the solid paste and you are ready to shoot.

they can be good. Some guns will like some combos that other guns won't. So you just have to experiment. Lard,Mink oil, beewax and olive oil all work well, I have never tried bear oil or peanut oil. Unsalted butter works good. A little goes a long ways so the fact thats its cheaper might not be a big concern.I hzve found animal based grease is nicer than vegy oils, but might be just imanination. Making your own lube is just another door to the fun of front stuffers.

metroplexchl said:
I've seen a lot of pre-lubed patches....are those any good? Bad?
Depends.

If the lubed patches were made recently they work very nicely.

If they have been sitting on the store shelf for a year or longer they often don't work worth a darn.

The lube in the material will weaken the cotton fibers over time and, given enough time the old lubed patches will shred into lint when the gun fires.

Of course, lint won't seal the bore or grab the rifling grooves so accuracy will be dismal.

The only other complaint I have with factory lubed patches is the cost.
If you don't shoot much, this isn't a problem but if you do shoot a lot, those 6-7 cent patches costs add up.

Most of the cloth that is bought by the yard at a fabric store is about 45 inches wide so if you bought a "yard" you would have a piece that is 36 inches X 45 inches in size.

Most patches for a .50 caliber gun are about 1 1/4 inches square (or diameter).
A yard of cloth cut into 1 1/4 inch strips will make about 36 strips 3 feet long.
That's enough material to make yourself about 970 patches so if you can find some suitable cotton cloth like pillow or mattress ticking for $8.00 each patch will cost about one cent each.

Of course you would have to get some lube for the patches but some amazing things can be made from some commonly available things like cooking oil and stuff and these work just as good as the expensive store bought stuff.

I won't get into how to make these lubes because we already have thousands of posts describing the thousands of different lubes our members make.

metroplexchl said:

They are a commercial product. Probably work OK but this is a do it yerself game. You will be better of finding a patch material that you like, will save you money and you can put on a lube you like and save even more money and, quite possibly, get improved results.

As Zonie said, freshness is the issue with pre lubed. Since the lube and the cotton or linen fibers are all plant or animal based, bacteria can chew up the ready made patches over time. There is no telling how long it's been between production and sale of the product. By the same token, making a large supply ahead of time can also be a waste of effort.

metroplexchl said:
I use them. I have had good results with them. Now I have only been shooting patched round balls for the last year so my experience is limited.
I plan on throwing out all my older patches next payday and getting new ones. The fellas say they deteriorate over time and I don't plan on repeating these findings.
Now from what I gather getting the material from the fabric store and making your own lube for the patch material is better, but I am just planning on shooting Bambi at 60 yards or closer, I am not in any shooting contests.

:rotf:
Gerard Dueck said:
As Zonie said, freshness is the issue with pre lubed. Since the lube and the cotton or linen fibers are all plant or animal based, bacteria can chew up the ready made patches over time. There is no telling how long it's been between production and sale of the product. By the same token, making a large supply ahead of time can also be a waste of effort.

Ya dunno whatcha talkin' about.
Pre lubed patch material never goes bad with time.
:wink: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

greenpatch.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Hey Rifleman. I think your on to something there! :)

Looks like something that could be used for patching or for making bullets. :)

You know....
Lubed patches that come with their own bullet mold.

:rotf:

Chris, try some olive oil first. If it doesn't work for you make some garlic bread and a nice salad. :haha:
Muzzleloading will fill the freezer with really simple stuff. Don't need sabots. Don't need factory manufactured bullets. Just my opinion but rediscovering what people knew long ago is a privilege.

Latest posts

Back