• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought pre-cut ".54 cal." .015 and .020 shooting patches for my .54 FL, lubed them myself. When I stand my rifle for loading, the muzzle reaches my nose and my left hand has a bit of a "palsy" so it is difficult for me to center a ball, sprue up on the "minimalist" .54 patch - lots of fumbling about. How "much" patch is ok, how much is too much. I do have a square yd of .020 ticking and I've used same in a strip to patch my shorter-barreled .54 Hawken-type rifle. I know how to use a patch knife but until I "break-in" this new FL, .020 patching requires pounding the ball into the muzzle - and that is not good. TIA, baxter

I cut my patches in to squares large enough that I don't have to worry about centering the ball as much. It's enough fabric that the ends fold over the top of the ball when loaded.

Since the .015 cotton-duck patches fit well and I have no similar patching on hand, I was thinking of ordering this as .80-.89 cal. pre-cut patches from TOW as a "try". Thanks, baxter

That should work great. Plus, big patches are easier to find on the ground if you want to read them.

I have two 58's and even when I'm a little off center they have patch above the ball all the way around. Your post made me smile. This ageing process isn't all it's cracked up to be is it? Geo. T.

GeoT....It beats the alternative. :grin:

I think Baxter's question is: When using a pre-cut patch...does an excessively large piece of material hurt precision..??
Has anyone compared results between cut-at-the-muzzle patching and intentionally oversize patches..all other factors held constant??
I haven't, but I've wondered about it too.

Just a different viewpoint, I wouldn’t think the two issues of cutting at the muzzle vs. using larger patches would be connected as it relates to accuracy.
I like using oversize precut patches...usually a couple caliber sizes larger...ie: 1+3/8" for .45/.50cal...1+5/8" for .54/.58cal.
Here's an example of a 1+3/8" in my .45cal:

062711440ball-58calpatch.jpg

When I started the System and cut at the muzzle I was meticulous to seat the ball flush and drag the knife across the muzzle making this perfect cut.
All I succeeded in doing was leaving a bunch of scratch marks across the muzzle face.

About the same time I began participating heavily in Rendezvous and learned another simple lesson and that was to pay close attention to the style and techniques of the guys that win all the time.

Walt (Chicken Legs), seemed to get called to the prize table a lot, when asked questions he'd be pretty darn quite and evasive, so I'd sidle up to him at the loading bench and watch.
Anyway's, he was cutting at the muzzle alright and wiping between shot's but he'd cut that strip at least a 1/4" above the muzzle if not more!!

So I learned with that and personal experimentation that extra cloth above the ball causes no harm.
The only issue is when there is a lot of material and using a short starter, that the extra fabric can get snagged in the short starter jag/end and pull the patch an ball back up with it.
So with a little care and practice, I learned to smack the short starter just a little, then lift it and set it back down on top of the extra fabric, leaving no chance of accidently lifting the PRB.

My 54cal strip is 2"-2 1/4" wide and cut above the muzzle at least that 1/4" that Walt does.

baxter said:
I bought pre-cut ".54 cal." .015 and .020 shooting patches for my .54 FL, lubed them myself. When I stand my rifle for loading, the muzzle reaches my nose and my left hand has a bit of a "palsy" so it is difficult for me to center a ball, sprue up on the "minimalist" .54 patch - lots of fumbling about. How "much" patch is ok, how much is too much. I do have a square yd of .020 ticking and I've used same in a strip to patch my shorter-barreled .54 Hawken-type rifle. I know how to use a patch knife but until I "break-in" this new FL, .020 patching requires pounding the ball into the muzzle - and that is not good. TIA, baxter

Since you're no longer tall enough for your longer rifle, consider a short step stool. It would give you not only a better vantage point but also better leverage when seating the ball.

There's a shooter at my range who uses one. He's not even elderly. Built not overly high, but wide enough to put both feet.

He's got hand holds cut in the sides and when flipped over, makes a dandy carrier to put stuff for the trip from bench to car.

Back