• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Cutter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_AK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody know if someone manufactures a patch cutter that would allow me to make round patches out of pillow ticking for use with .530 round balls?

Ithink dixiegunworks.com sells them don't know the price though. mite check them out or trackofthewolf.com I my self I use siccors I cut them inn 2 inch squars. then use moose milk on them for lube (poxcide and murghys oil soap mixed 50 50) works good for target work for hunting I use bore butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 1 3/16" hole saw that I ground the teeth off and put an edge on. I chuck it up in the drill press and cut six layers at a time. I can do a season's worth in about 15 minutes.

MikeAK, Forster Products used to offer such a device, but an arch punch or the previously mentioned hole saw in a drill press also work, but this begs the question: Why round patches, other than appearance? Have you considered just cutting & ripping cloth strips and trimming them at the muzzle or even buying a Fiskars pinking shears and cutting them from pillow ticking, etc.? (This prevents them from unraveling.)

Swampy said:
Hopefully Brett Sr will see this and show ya the niffty one he made.

For you Swampy...you bet! and the betterment of our fellow forum members as well!

118patchcutter.jpg

I use this in my .40 and 50, several have used this for the .54 I would go to a 1 7/16 cutter for a dedicated .54 patch remember that a hole saw diameter is outside measurement and the teeth are stagered. inner bore dia. is what counts when revamping a hole saw.
this 1 5/16 nets me a 1 1/8 patch.

I have to go with maven on that one , why round not that i am a expert, but i have cut my pt into
squares, i had a few round patches and i did not
notice any dif, JMO. :idunno: :)
Boomm.

....."tastes great!"....

......."less filling!"....

like patch lube, cleaning methods and a slew of other opinionated topics,
this comes up about as often as a new harbor freight sales ad.

original poster was asking IF the was a round patch cutter available. Not what was better.
...and before anybody unloads on me,
I cut round ones because can. I also shoot square ones, strip patches tat I cut at the muzzle, prelube with a lube that works for me and spit patch as well as!

The only production round patch cutter I am aware of is/was made by Forster products and was for a .45 cal round patch.

Sir do not get me wrong, that cutter of yours is
cool, and you are right he was not asking wich is
best, all i wanted is to join in.
I hope my post as not upset you. :surrender:
Boomm.

Boomm,
No, didnt upset me at all.
as your time here gets greater, you will see a trend that there are a handful of topics that come up time and again. This one is almost monthly!

I spose I was merely trying to "head 'em off at the pass" so to speak.

alls good Boomm! :patriot:

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, everyone.

What size squares would I need for .54 caliber round balls?

Well what i did, and what i was told to do was
put the P/T over the bore, put the ball on top
of the P/T, and then i judged the amount to wrap
around th ball, and used that as a template and it worked for me. The P/T i use is blue so i go
3 blue lines and a tad wider it fits my 50 just
right, but there are more ex/ guys on this forum
who will give you better info than me . :thumbsup: . Boomm.

I too cut strips then square patches cause I don't have a fancy dandy tool like Brett. He did ask about round patches and I knew of Bretts home made tool and mentioned it. Hell if I had that I just might cut mine round too. :v

Do you have to use the "14" ball, and did you have any problems sneaking it out of the bar?

My guesstimate minimum is two and a half times the ball diameter if the patch is perfectly centered.

GoodCheer said:
My guesstimate minimum is two and a half times the ball diameter if the patch is perfectly centered.

Actually, the formula for periphery is pi times dia.

So, for a .530 ball;

.530 X 3.1416= 1.665 or roughly 1 5/8" in diameter.

God bless

today i cut mine patches in a hurry, 1x1inch, some were even bigger, nothing bad happend, i was happy. with my hummble expirience, it dont matter, precut, round, sqware, cut at muzzle, just load em and shoot em. and have fun doin it.

tuscan said:
today i cut mine patches in a hurry, 1x1inch, some were even bigger, nothing bad happend, i was happy. with my hummble expirience, it dont matter, precut, round, sqware, cut at muzzle, just load em and shoot em. and have fun doin it.

:bow: :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
I too cut strips then square patches cause I don't have a fancy dandy tool like Brett. He did ask about round patches and I knew of Bretts home made tool and mentioned it. Hell if I had that I just might cut mine round too. :v

I was thinking of making one for the .58

Do I need to make 2 of them?

Back