• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Cutter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
First of all what do they call those patch cutters that you hit on the back with a hammer and it cuts a perfectly round patch? Second do they work nice and what do you put your material on to smack it to cut the patch? (Wood, rubber, :hmm: Your Wife? :shake: )

My patch cutter that cuts a perfectly round patch is called a patch knife. :)

A friend of mine made a cutter out of a hole saw by grinding off the teeth and sharpening it. He uses his drill press and cuts a lot of patches in a few minutes.

The instrument of torture you described is probably a hollow punch.

A wad punch or hollow punch I think you mean, and you use it on a piece end grain wood so as not to cut out discs of wood and had them lodged in the end of it. Cos they are a pain in the bum to have to remove.

is this that you mean?
L_149.jpg

Personally like the person before hand I cut the patch of at the end barrell, perfect fit, then again I changed to conical cos I am a lazy bugger!

Click link for ones purpose made for BP shooting
Wad Punches

The ones here can be fitted in a drill press, Hit with a hammer etc. check it!

Square patches work as well or better and they're a lot easier/faster to cut out.

I use a sewing cutting wheel (looks like a pizza cutter) and the mat made for it to cut my cleaning patches. works great and can do a ton in no time. they work for shooting just as well as round and a whole lot easier to make.

Jon

Howdy...
I used to do a lot of leather work. Your best bet if using the osborne type punch is to work on a wood top surface with a dense rubber mat, conveyor belting works real well.
The drill press methon with the revamped hole saw works, BUT I caution about loosing your material andhaving it spin and cause injury to you.

I have a revamped holesaw that I place a 7/16 deep socket over, 1/4 drive, and connect that to an old door knob with 1/4" keyway stock. I can cut 12 layers at a time with no effort, just a 3/4 turn down to the rubber.
4 cuts, 1 stack of 48, run a needle and thread thru it. I lube mine in bulk and squeeze them out and then peel them off the thread as I need them.

Brett

I bought a 1 3/8 Arch Punch for somewhere around $20 or so. I had to sharpen it a bit to cut fabric better.
It works well, but square patches are easier. Now I use a big paper cutter or scissors.
Dave

Latest posts

Back