• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale Musketoon nipple question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to me (estate sale) English built Parker Hale Musketoon ...
The gun is in good shape with expected field wear shooting and carried but I think the nipple is new
As I examined the nipple 3 observations
1. The bottom of the nipple is flat as a pancake w/ pin prick flash hole as opposed to a cone shaped flash channel in the bottom of the nipple to allow the flame to spread and the actual nipple flash hole far up in the body of the nipple
2. The bottom of the nipple is just a hair short of being level with the fire channel to the chamber ..almost a right angle to the fire channel
3. The diameter of the orifice in the nipple you can start a straight pin in it but not pass it all the way thru as too large in diameter) which makes me believe the only thing correct on the new nipple is the correct threads

Can someone direct me to the correct nipple with a coned flash channel, correct orifice diameter and correct over all length for musket caps of course!

Thanks
Bear

First of all, can I ask you to give us details of the proof marks and serial number for David Minshall - here in UK he is compiling a register of details of Parker-Hale's muzzleloading products. IF your Musketoon is a genuine PH, then it will be 5/16x18, if it's a EuroArms version, then it's metric and I have no idea.

Last edited:
Does it look like this? Parker Hale 3 band
5/16-18 thread, for English mfg. Parker Hale Enfield musket, musket cap, hardened steel, 1/4" square lug,
Cone length: 0.475"
Thread journal length: 0.275"
Overall length: 0.750"
Diameter of base: 0.370"

use a 1/4" wrench to remove

download (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Let me get it apart tonite and i will post tomorrow the nipple measurements via caliper measurement
When I cleaned it before the range trip it looked to me that the nipple extended too far in
The range trip was with 2 rifles ..a Navy Arms Zouave and this Parker Hale Musketoon .. The Zouave fired like the machine it always is ..the Musketoon was like a flintlock ..trigger pull ..cap pop then bang ..three times each the same ..so I needed to figure this out so I pulled the nipple at the range ..orifice hole clean on nipple ..ran a heavy pipe cleaner thru the fire channel 4" into the chamber/barrel ..pipe cleaner moved easily thru the process ..replaced the nipple ..capped it on an empty chamber and dropped the hammer and it moved the grass ..reloaded and again cap pop then bang
..it is exactly like a revolver whose nipple has clogged a bit but does finally fire

Wow had a dentist appointment after I started this thread and unexpectedly had two teeth pulled ..UGH
The flash hole is .030
OAL is as shown

When I get to feeling a bit better I am going to take it apart and for sure chase the fire channel with a more aggressive clean out with something more aggressive than a pipe cleaner

The picture of the two nipples ..the upper one is from the Musketoon and the lower on from a Zouave Navy Arms ..NOTICE the deep cupped recess of the Zouave nipple and the orifice far closer to the cap and how the flame can start expanding far sooner than the flat faced current nipple

So besides additional fire channel cleaning I wish to find a nipple built like the Zouave nipple

Bear

Attachments

• image0 - Copy.jpeg
    image0 - Copy.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
I've got a British made 61 musketoon. Can get some pics of the nipple tonight for you if you want, though it sounds like maybe you got some in a PM already?

Details, please, lessen you've already sent me a while back. That's serial number and proof marks found underneath like this -

1676661524108.png

Details, please, lessen you've already sent me a while back. That's serial number and proof marks found underneath like this -

View attachment 199226
I'll take a pic of that the next time I pull the barrel off for cleaning. Meanwhile, here's a pic of the original paperwork I have from PH.
IMG_20230217_152826336.jpg

Does it look like this? Parker Hale 3 band
5/16-18 thread, for English mfg. Parker Hale Enfield musket, musket cap, hardened steel, 1/4" square lug,
Cone length: 0.475"
Thread journal length: 0.275"
Overall length: 0.750"
Diameter of base: 0.370"

use a 1/4" wrench to remove

View attachment 198604
My lower sling swivel is in the bottom of the stock half way to the butt ..in front of where your swivel is mounted I have a small stud protruding with a 1/2" ring in the stud to attach a nipple protector on

Wow had a dentist appointment after I started this thread and unexpectedly had two teeth pulled ..UGH
The flash hole is .030
OAL is as shown

When I get to feeling a bit better I am going to take it apart and for sure chase the fire channel with a more aggressive clean out with something more aggressive than a pipe cleaner

The picture of the two nipples ..the upper one is from the Musketoon and the lower on from a Zouave Navy Arms ..NOTICE the deep cupped recess of the Zouave nipple and the orifice far closer to the cap and how the flame can start expanding far sooner than the flat faced current nipple

So besides additional fire channel cleaning I wish to find a nipple built like the Zouave nipple

Bear

The nipple in my Musketoon looks like the first one. I have no misfires and the gun is a sub 2moa shooter. In yours' I'd be looking to the flash channel. In target guns, the orifice size on the nipple is generally pretty small. That keeps pressure within the barrel and not escaping back up the flash channel. Too large a hole and the hammer can be blown back to half or full cock. That's a sure sigh of a too large nipple orifice or way over loaded gun.

100yd group. Point of aim was left diamond point. Group size is 1.75in center to center.
musketoongroup1.jpg

Latest posts

Back