• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale and other 2 piece Loading Rods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
There seem to be any number of folks on this Forum who shoot Parker Hale rifles , and other rifles , usually military type which have steel ram rods .
I have not looked at every make but many which I have looked at , Parker Hale , Pedersoli etc have two piece ram rods , the jag is a separate piece fixed to the rod . The join line is very fine and not easy to see , but it is there .
I discovered this fact when the jag on my PH Musketoon jammed in the barrel when I was wiping the bore , . I gave the rod a hard tug and it came out , without the jag . I removed the nipple , poured in some ffffg and seated the jag/patch onto the powder and fired into a mound of sand conveniently placed by the range shed . I recovered the jag and both barrel and Jag were unharmed .
On examination I discovered the jag had been pushed / pressed on to the rod , not soldered or pinned . I then checked all my other Parker Hales and found the same thing , so I removed the lot , soldered and pinned them back on so no more jags got stuck in the bore.
It is worth a look if you ML has a one piece steel loading rod .

I bought an aftermarket made in the USA rod from Lodgewood for my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield, that is a one piece rod made for rough handling in competition shooting.

Were the original Enfield ramrods 2-piece ?

I don’t use the rod belonging to the rifle but a three-piece brass one I made myself with an aluminium muzzle guide.

But then, I only shoot on formal ranges where carrying extra kit is’t a problem

Original rods for Enfield,s are a steel shaft fire welded to an Iron head note the blue ish steel that goes into the darker brown head . or any Iv'e had where so made . On a range' Bisley Johns' got the right idea . The muzzle is vunerable so a guide on the rod helps that wear happening .
Rudyard

That's why I don't use the original rod for anything.

I load and shoot with a solid brass repro rod and clean with a dedicated range type rod with a bore guide.

I used to shoot in competitions where the original rod on the rifle had to be used ,I always used my left thumb and forefinger as a bore guide in these competitions and stainless steel range rods with bore guides in ordinary matches . I do have a bore guide off one of my Parker Hale volunteer rifle rods in a drawer in my workshop , it is there because it is plastic and I made a brass ones to replace them .

Back