• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammons

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be handy to have a few of these in a bag to carry into the field. Easy enough to make with rolling papers.

That said I saw on the internet a couple of different types. One was just the powder charge. I think it was for rifles, and supposedly that was what they used in the civil war.

2nd type was a guy making cartridges with the ball in the wrapper for a revolver.

Now when I first saw it I thought great, but then I thought, the paper is flamable, and its in front of the ball. Also what keeps the charge from shaking in front of the ball.

When I first loaded my pistol, I did powder, ball, then grease on top to prevent chain fires. I use the larger 45 cal ball so I get a ring sheared off when reloading.

Lately I have been doing powder, wad, ball with no grease, and that seems to work too.

Question #1 Is is it safe to have the ball inside the paper cartridge ?? Seem like flamable paper in front of the ball would just be asking for trouble.

Question #2 Is it better to have your powder in a paper cartridge if you are going to leave a muzzle loader rifle or a revolver loaded for a few days. I know its always safer to unload, but I was just curious.

I am sure the pioneers did not shoot out their guns every night, especially if they were in Indian territory.

Original pistol paper catridges were just a lubed conical bullet over the powder charge, Colt also did foil wrapped catridges in a similar fashion.

I have made paper catridges with a .457 ball over the powder charge wrapped in cigarette paper, & never had any issues.

So to question #1 yes it is perfectly safe to have them preloaded in this fashion & stored in a container for taking to the range or whar not.

Question #2
I've been keeping at least one of my C&B revolvers loaded for one reason or another for over 20 years "one was kept loaded for over a year once" & it does not matter if you use paper catridges to load it or loose powder & ball as long as it was loaded properly it will be reliable & resonably weather resistent.

There are several thoughts on paper cartridges. One is that some tear the paper pour in the powder then stuff the ball in it. the second is stuff the whole thing in and either prick the paper or not through the nipple for a better chance of setting off the powder.
Myself if your using nitrated paper I feel you don't need to prick the charge.
Hers the way I would do it. Load the cylinder as normal. powder, wad ball cap. Then I would toss paper cartridge reloads in my pistol pouch along with the tin of caps for a quick a reload.

Poor Private said:
There are several thoughts on paper cartridges. One is that some tear the paper pour in the powder then stuff the ball in it. the second is stuff the whole thing in and either prick the paper or not through the nipple for a better chance of setting off the powder.
Myself if your using nitrated paper I feel you don't need to prick the charge.
Hers the way I would do it. Load the cylinder as normal. powder, wad ball cap. Then I would toss paper cartridge reloads in my pistol pouch along with the tin of caps for a quick a reload.

I think that is how most frontiersmen did it back then.

I plan on pre-loading some powder charges in papers, once I get the good charge figured out. I wouldn't think a .454 ball would fit in smoke-paper with that diameter. idk. Even if you had a full "cartridge" made up, I can't imagine the paper would cause an issue.

Example process: You seal lengthwise, twist one end, drop in ball, twist, drop in charge, seal end and fold over. Now you have your cartridge, right? Loading time... Tear off the folded end, pour in charge, set paper-wrapped ball on chamber, seat on charge.

I'd think, your ball will still be slightly over-size so there will be the small ring sheared off, taking the paper which would have been between the ball & chamber with it. You'd end up with a paper wad between the charge and the ball, nothing between the ball and the chamber (because of the shearing), and then a paper "wad" in front of the ball.

I wouldn't think there'd be a potential of frontal chain-firing (possible, I guess, if you used an under-sized ball for some reason), because the ball would be flush with the chamber @ the shear point effectively sealing off the charge.

Am I off here?

I recall reading somewhere, years ago that the paper pistol cartridges were, 1. tapered to ease insertion into the chamber, and 2. the length of the paper cartridge, from the base of the cartridge to the diameter of the ball, was equal to the chamber depth. Thus, when the ball was rammed home, the cartridge would burst, eliminating the need to prick the cartridge or tear off the end.

Question, has anyone on the forum examined an original paper cartridge to see how the base was sealed, twist, glue, etc.?

Old Coot

Back