• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Lubing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My very first handgun, at age 18, was a Lyman 1858 Remington .44. I had a lot of fun with that gun but only shot round balls with Crisco over ball grease as per the available instructions at that time. The only kills made with it were one red squirrel and a skunk caught in my fox trap.

Upon reaching the ripe old age of 21, I soon got into cartridge handguns and interest in cap and ball faded - for a while. Being young and short of funds then, I acquired a Lee bullet sizing outfit in order to feed the unmentionables. A pan for lubing, a tube cutter and a mallet punch die for sizing cast lead bullets.

Now being a bit older and wiser I have repurposed the old pan for lubing BP .44 conicals and it works like a charm. The Lee conicals have grease grooves and are well lubed. I no longer apply a grease over the bullet since it all melts away after the first shot anyway. I found some plastic tubes on Ebay intended as pre-measured powder charges but they conveniently hold six lubed conicals for mess free carrying of lubed bullets in the field.

Got a fire going in the wood stove tonight which does a nice job melting the SPG lube in the pan and we're in business.

1603237971720.png

Here is a hint....Start with a clean empty pan. Line the bottom of the pan with plastic cling wrap. Place your bullets in the pan, then add your bullet lube. Let the lube stiffen completely. Quickly invert the pan, then remove the pan. Press the bullets out with a piece of dowel from the plastic wrap side. Recycle the unused lube into your melt container.

Back