• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Fried Eggplant....yummmm!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in an earlier thread, that I also planted eggplant, which I do every year I and my family loves it and we use it in several recipes, but sliced about 1/2 inch thick and just coated with egg, flour and a little salt and pepper, then pan fried in a little oil till crispy brown. __ This is the way my Mom had it!

We had some for supper last night with brats!

Anyone here grow and/or like eggplant?

Big fan of eggplant.
My Mother's Eggplant Parmesan is delicious with a slice of crusty bread. I also like it when salted, fried in olive oil and eaten on bread.

I love eggplant. It's almost addictive. I like it fried as well. Makes great tempura. Sliced thinner than 1/2", though. I have to peel it or else it's too bitter. Maybe I'm eating the wrong eggplant.

Japanese eggplant isn't as bitter.

Try salting the eggplant to remove/reduce bitterness. Slice, sprinkle with salt, allow to sit for 30-60 minutes, wipe/blot dry with paper towels and fry.

One of my favorite things for "country supper": fried breaded-slices of eggplant with speckled butterbeans, tomatoes, hot cornbread & iced-tea = YUMMM's the word.

yours, satx

Satx, you're from Texas, so the question. Is there sugar in that iced tea? Us Free Staters usually drink it unsweetened. Maybe we are sweet enough.

Eggplant was a staple for my grandparents: used in baba ganoush, baked, and fried slices. Nana would salt the slices and let them sit for 30 to 60 minutes to remove some of the bitterness. Sometimes she coated them, or if young and small sized she just fried them lightly in olive oil. Served with Greek olives and warn pita bread. Delicious! I make coated slices for myself. My wife prefers eggplant as baba ganoush. Never had any luck growing it ourselves but our local farmers market has it. It also goes great with slices of tomato and lightly sautéed zucchini.

Okay, that's another item on the shopping list for tomorrow.

Jeff

While I put a teaspoon of REAL sugar per pint & a 1/2. = I do NOT sweeten tea like many of the folks here do.
(I also don't use salt on anything but French fries & eggs, thanks to "Duckie" who weaned me off salt.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
One of my favorite things for "country supper": fried breaded-slices of eggplant with speckled butterbeans, tomatoes, hot cornbread & iced-tea = YUMMM's the word.

yours, satx

Now your making me drooooool! :bow:

Have eaten eggplant on occasion and liked it, but have a question. Does eggplant "take on" flavors of the seasonings and other add ons as do mushrooms?.....Fred

From my experience...., the eggplant will soak up the oil and anything on it..., just like 'shrooms.., if sliced and directly fried. Now the OP batters them and fries them, which means the batter cooks (and the seasoning in the gives the flavor) while the heat cooks the eggplant within the batter (and you don't have a really oily piece of eggplant as you do if you try to fry without batter).

I prefer the OP's method of battering with egg and such, and then frying....

:grin:

LD

IF you do NOT "batter" eggplant, it will absorb flavors of what it is cooked with "to some degree".

Note: IF I'm cooking for other people, I brine the slices, dip the slices in beaten egg, dredge in a mixture of meal/flour/spices & fry in a 1/2" of olive oil.
(Fwiw, I do NOT use my better "extra virgin olive oil" for that frying. - Regular is FINE.)

yours, satx

I did run across an interesting historical reference to eggplant. Can't remember where, but a 1597 writer described eggplant, but lamented that the growing season in London was not normally long enough for it to give mature fruit.

Latest posts

Back