• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oval touch hole liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRussell

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This showed up on a flint pistol I got recently - I've never seen the like. The touch hole liner, which is gold, is oval instead of round.

Anyone seen one before? Perceived advantage?

DSC00051sml.jpg

What I want to know is.... how did they put it in there. Obviously, it's not threaded. Second question.... What is holding it in place and will it stay there? :youcrazy:

I understand that they were put in by riveting. The hole had a groove or other enlarged area inside, so the gold piece could be dropped in (with a close-fitting rod in the bore to back it up?) and hammered so the gold expanded into the groove.

There were a lot of them made that way (for the high-end market, obviously). Some folks, like the Mantons, used platinum. The first gold touch hole liners apparently appeared in the late 1600s or early 1700s. There's one in at least one presentation gun from that era that was never used (and thus was unlikely to have had a new touch hole liner added later).

This one is in an Irish duelling pistol, circa 1790.

I don't plan on cutting it apart to see for sure how it was done, that's for sure :)

Making an oval shaped one wouldn't be so bad - just file the hole to an oval. But why? What fun.

Back