• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original left-handed Fusil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have read snipits here and there that Mark Baker allegedly has info on an original early French fusil, that was left-handed, that has been found and excavated.

Anyone know where I could get more info :confused: ?

I agree with Mike :thumbsup: and further cite PP.60-61 of "Colonial Frontier Guns"{1980} by T.M.Hamilton
See alo "Tunica Archaeology"{1988} by Jeffrey[url] P.Brain[/url], Burial No.1, PP.166-170 for more on this gun which has been known for quite sometime and I believe it is still the only archaeological recovery of a left handed Fusil Fin de chasse to date.
Tom Patton :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I have Hamilton's book, but no date, even an approximate one, is put with that Fusil, so I'll have to pick up that Tunica Archaeology book by Jefferey Brain. Second thought ... maybe I'll have someone look up those pages for me, as Amazon has a used copy for sale @ $232 Canadian :surrender: . Hmmmmmmmmmm, time to find my library card ...

To complete my early French Fusil from the Tulle factory, which will be left-handed , my barrel places it post-1721 as is has the octagonal to round via the 1 wedding band transition. It will have a walnut stock, ~44" barrel, 62 caliber, and iron hardware.

But I haven't selected a specific year yet, though I would like to target the period preceding the French & Indian War, if possible.

FWIW I purchased a large left-handed (unbridled frizzen) lock from Caywood, but it is round-faced. I have already filed it fairly flat and I intend to do more alterations to make it appear to be an early French lock from the mid 17th century.

My persona will be that of a 'serrurier' or French locksmith, an artisan who is also a skilled blacksmith, and is or was employed at the Forges of St. Maurice, the oldest ironworks in Quebec (founded 1730). Locksmithing was the 4th 'art' or craftsman recognized by the French Aristocracy as being worthy of establishing a Guild. Thus, being a true craftsman, I don't think it's too far a stretch to imagine that either he (my persona) made the lock or had it made for him.

Even though most people were forced to be right-handed in early times, there are examples of items from early 17th century that are truly left-handed! A few examples are the swept-hilt rapiers of Italian ancestry and then that of the Ferniehirst Castle (Clan Kerr) in Scotland, where 30% of the Kerr family are left-handed. The entire castle was made with left-handed people in mind (doors, locks, conveniences, etc.).

In fact, the lefthandedness trait of the Kerr family became a notable characteristic when the naturally left-handed Sir Andrew Kerr found it to be an advantage while fighting at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. He began training others in the use of arms using the left-hand as the master.

Thoughts??

Thoughts??
If you're doing a left handed Fusil Fin It had better be nicely carved and engraved. It's the only way you can justify a left handed gun of the time. Costly, and decorated for the well to do.

Try ABE books. Found a copy for $50 us.[url] http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Tunica+Archaeology&x=44&y=13[/url]

Curtis

There are TWO books on the Tunica material. One is "Tunica Archaelology" and the other is "Tunica Treasure",both by Jeffrey Brain.The first one and the one I cited generally sells for about $50.00 to $80.00. There are four on[url] abebooks.com[/url] at the present time.I'm not surprised at "Tunica Treasure" going for $232.00 even used.It took me two years to find a copy.

I agree with Mike here on the Tulle but that particular gun was most likely a Fusil fin de chasse{the so called Types C and D}and should have been brass mounted.I agree further that it a very expensive gun at the time and its probable first owner was a white man likely an officer.There also is no evidence cited by Hamilton to support the idea that the gun was made by Tulle.I also think a more correct lock would have been either the R. E. Davis Tulle Arsenal Fusil de chasse lock or the L&R early trade lock with the R E Davis lock being slightly earlier but requiring more sanitizing as done and shown by TG on this board.The left handed gun parts shown by Hamilton and the so called Types C and D are hard to pin down as to the date but generally fall into about the second quarter of the 18th century. A mid 17th century French lock would be totally incorrect for either a Fusil de chasse or a Fusil fin de chasse{ the so called Types C and D}. The style of lock found on these Fusil fins de chasse didn't start to appear until the beginning of the 18th century.

You asked for "Thoughts"
Tom Patton

I can't offer any more than Mike or Tom, but perhaps the barrel might have a short section (2")of 16 flats between the oct and the ring,(which is very esy to do) and pose the question of what type of guns were being built at the Tulle armoury (town) during the F&I war, as compared to the parts now available from most suppliers.

Before you spend anything on it, see if your local library can borrow it from the Library of Congress. You wouldn't believe what you can obtain through the LoC's inter-library loan program. Would be worth even getting a new library card!!

Back