• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

original Brown Bess Locks??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05warrior

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey, every friday here there is a bazaar and the locals bring muzzleloaders and breachloader, and i'm wondering if there are any identifying marks that i should look for to make sure it is original and not some afghan nockoff. they don't have the long gun itself but they have some pistols that look like the same lock to me and also they have just locks. I've forgotten alot about what i knew about muzzleloading so if you speak to me in barney language i won't mind. thanks in advance.

First and foremost, rule#1, every gun is always loaded. Always.
Check every ML you want to examine to see if it has a load down the barrel. I gaurantee that you will eventually find one to be loaded, then another one.
Others here are far more experienced at identifying old locks, and I'll leave that to them, and will also benefit from their answers.

The original's were better made. The inside of the locks are probably the best place to look. The older locks are pretty well cleaned up an filed smooth. Look for casting marks (originals were forged and filed), circular grinder marks, Dremel tool marks, any of those will probably indicate a fake. Most of the reproducers do a pretty good job on the outside of the lock, but the inside of the locks is pretty rough.

Also, for some reason, they leave a lot of wood on. The repro's are often heavy clubs where the original's actually pointed and held well.

Many Klatch

Hello there..
Next time you go is it possible to take some picts....It sounds awesome!! :thumbsup:

Rob

Warrior, first off, thank you for your service. :bow: :applause: :hatsoff:

Secondly, that would be a neat opportunity to study and purhaps purchase at a reasonable price some of these old weapons. Be careful over there and keep your powder dry! :thumbsup:

Next week i'll get some pics. there are a few shops in the area that i might stop at in a few days. I'll post em as i get them.
:thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be funny if the #2 Afghani export was antique firearms?
You take care over there,05. We're doing our darndest to get you and you buddies safely back to Kansas! (Now THERE's a place that is everything Afghanistan isn't.)

A National Guard unit from Alabama found an original ACW Napoleon 12 pounder and carried home from 'stan as a trophy .

Check the function of the locks. If they are well made and work well, then even if they are Afghan work, they might make the basis for a nice gun, or if they're cheap enough, a nice sideline once you get back.

Back