• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Baker rifle balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
bakerballs.jpg

Got me some leather wrapped Baker balls from the Percy Tenantry stash :thumbsup:

He has more for sale if anyone wants a piece of history rattling around in their Baker patch box.

They cost GBP30 each plus shipping. I don't usually buy lead at over a million pounds a ton, but these are a bit special.

Don't know if he does overseas but I can help out if it is a problem.

Squire Robin

Now those are nifty! Never seen one of those before, thanks for showing your Baker balls off! :grin:

Pretty neat Squire! Is the patch glued to the ball? I assume they must have used a punch to cut out the leather cross and wet molded it to the ball. Was it intended to separate in flight? If not it must have played heck with the aerodynamics. I understand that widows and children of deceased soldiers and sailors were employed in the ammunition factories casting balls and making up cartridges, it looks like a job for nimble fingers.

I guess I'm the only one who is not in the know, but what is the "Percy Tenantry stash"? Thanks

Well I reckon that I was only other person not in the know about this historical item.

I did a few minutes search and now it looks like you're the only one again. :blah:

Fascinating stuff..history is.

here's a snippet for ya.

As little is known of the ammunition of the 95th Rifles this was deemed worthwhile. Using a university laboratory facility to undertake the examinations, the following facts turned up : the bullets were cast from pure lead and averaged .60 inch calibre (and suit a 20 bore calibre rifle), most of the leather patches were pigskin - two were from bovine skin and probably cut from a stillborn calf - and the remaining lubrication was a mixture of lard and tallow, the patches were different in size but were in a form of cross-shape cut out by scissors rather than a knife or a wad-cutter. The patches still fitted the bullets very snugly but due to their great age, all the patches had become dry and stiff - through careful lifting, nothing could be seen of any form of adhesive used so it was taken that the patches were wrapped around the bullets after lubrication and adhered to them due to the lard-tallow mix. The bullets were later reconstructed in facsimile and in an experiment when fired from an original Baker rifle, served very well in terms of both loading and accuracy.

And the link it came from ...
http://www.95thrifles.com/95th/history/articles/patched-ball/

Thanks for sharing the pic of your Baker's Rifle Balls!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's different! I like their leather jackets. Are the balls belted? They appear round unlike these. Link

I suppose you could makeup some up like that with hardened lead too.

Geesh! Nevermind. I was thinking of the Brunswick rifle not the Baker rifle.
:shake:
The only reason I make mention of hardened balls is that I think these rifles had a twist rate of 1:120. I wonder if the leather jacketed balls were carefully weighed and the exact same width
of leather used how much more accurate the rifle would be. I'm stubborn I guess.

Hi

There is a problem. The seller was surprised but reasonable, I'm sending all but one of the balls back from whence they came :(

I was curious as to whether they were exactly 20 gauge, or smaller to allow for the leather wrap. Put them on my digital scale, divided the weight in to 1 lb and it came up 15.5 gauge.

Lovely piece of history and all that but they ain't Baker, which kinda detracts.

C'est la vie

Squire Robin

Wasn't there variations? It is confusing to me what the actual bore sizes were since it seems to depend on who you ask. There are conflicting reports of the rifle's accuracy as well.

Back