• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Original .69 cal percussion "Bear Rifle".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmer

40 Cal
Reaction score
This is a heavy rifle that was obviously intended for big game. It's origin is unknown to me, but the large bow in the trigger guard suggests use in a colder climate where gloves or mittens would be used. It has been through some changes over the years. The barrel appears to have had an under rib at one time. It now has a single dovetailed rod guide. It has a massive steel buttplate without a heal. There are several filled rear sight dovetails and a repair to the underside of the tang not visible unless the barrel is removed from the stock. It apparently had a lolly pop tang sight at one time. I filled in the hole in the stock for the sight stem. The rear sight was broken when I got the rifle and I replaced it with the sight shown. The original lock was a Goulcher in terrible shape and I replaced it with a new Davis lock. The barrel is 1.3" at the breech with a slight taper. The walnut stock is in good condition and could possibly indicate that the rifle was restocked at some time. The bore is in good shape with a few minor pits and measures around .687. I use a .672 ball and a .022 patch. The rifle weighs around 11 3/4 pounds. $875.00 plus shipping which I estimate to be $75.00. Postal money order for payment. I have no idea why the photos are upside down. My apologies.
tempImagec7GPux.png
tempImageWwZ7AL.png
tempImageg0G2Cp.png
tempImageg0G2Cp.png
tempImage0EC1QN.png
tempImagemPszcP.png
tempImagedREyz7.png
tempImagePZO5tW.png
tempImagefp5qGx.png

What is the maximum powder charge?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but the max charge would be what common sense dictates. When I hunted with it I used 120 grains of 2F Swiss for three reasons. First, it was plenty for woods hunting where 50 yards was a long shot. Second, it was accurate. Third, that was the max my powder measure would throw and having to charge the rifle twice in a hurry if I needed a quick follow up shot was not a good idea.

This is one serious moose thumper. My chiropractor adjusted my neck and gave me a hand mirror for any further attempts at viewing.

My phone is having data problems. Be right back as soon as T Mobile gets this resolved. May or may not be getting out now.

Back