• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD original 1840s smooth rifle probably Southern, may be Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure we all have financial obligations. I hate to sell my new toy but I also like having a house and cars so finances beckon my sale :). I posted this not long ago in the flintlock rifle section. On the inside of the lock, you can barely make out the outlines of the screws from when it started out flintlock but was redone, probably in the 1840s for this smooth rifle. Lock is also engraved in the percussion style but has a hand made looking hammer. If you're looking at it odds are good you know more about it than I do. I'm ashamed to say I have the pictures but forgot to measure the length of the barrel or what caliber. From memory, the caliber is typical fowler size, roughly .60. I'd say the barrel is 40" or so. I'll get that information added after work tonight. I'm asking $500 including shipping in the lower 48. I'll sell anywhere but shipping overseas or AK HI will be at cost.

Attachments

• DSCF4574.JPG
    DSCF4574.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCF4575.JPG
    DSCF4575.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCF4576.JPG
    DSCF4576.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCF4577.JPG
    DSCF4577.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF4578.JPG
    DSCF4578.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCF4579.JPG
    DSCF4579.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCF4580.JPG
    DSCF4580.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF4581.JPG
    DSCF4581.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCF4582.JPG
    DSCF4582.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCF4583.JPG
    DSCF4583.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 315
I meant to say earlier that is $500 or best offer. The friend who told me it was Shenandoah Valley also told me to offer it for $650 OBO but since I have little into it I am happy to make a bit and give someone else a good price also

Well, I'm sure we all have financial obligations. I hate to sell my new toy but I also like having a house and cars so finances beckon my sale :). I posted this not long ago in the flintlock rifle section. On the inside of the lock, you can barely make out the outlines of the screws from when it started out flintlock but was redone, probably in the 1840s for this smooth rifle. Lock is also engraved in the percussion style but has a hand made looking hammer. If you're looking at it odds are good you know more about it than I do. I'm ashamed to say I have the pictures but forgot to measure the length of the barrel or what caliber. From memory, the caliber is typical fowler size, roughly .60. I'd say the barrel is 40" or so. I'll get that information added after work tonight. I'm asking $500 including shipping in the lower 48. I'll sell anywhere but shipping overseas or AK HI will be at cost.
Does it work or is it a wall hanger? I'm also wondering, if it still works, if it can be made back into a flinter.

Does it work or is it a wall hanger? I'm also wondering, if it still works, if it can be made back into a flinter.

Currently it is prevented from working with a broken sear spring. I have not had a moment to see if I have one to fit it. I would think with the proper parts it would not be difficult to reconvert since the pan area was not overly cut out in the conversion.

Meant to add this earlier, barrel is 43 1/4" and .56 caliber. Nipple is dirty but intact. Bore is uncleaned/dirty/rusty but no obvious problem areas. I'll run a brush down it and give you an update. At this point I would not be afraid to fire it with shot or a light load and ball.

By the photos posted here it looks like an original percussion lock on an original percussion rifle. It would be a shame to turn this antique into an inauthentic flintlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back