• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building my first kit and I'd like some opinions on how to fix an issue. I've split a chunk of the stock that backs up the breech of the barrel. The piece is still attached. Should I get some glue in as is and clamp with tape or cut out a plug bigger than the issue and glue in a new piece?
20220306_174851.jpg

please, please sharpen your chisels ! make them so you can shave a see through shaving across the grain. your entire enjoyment of the project will be greatly enhanced. you just have to work much harder for a poor return with a dull chisel. don't ask how i know!:doh:
i find myself dressing my chisels every 15-20 minutes. it is a little work and i can split a pencil line with them.
like everyone says. glue the chip and use the curing time to sharpen those chisels.

did i mention sharpening your chisels?:ghostly:

I'm building my first kit and I'd like some opinions on how to fix an issue. I've split a chunk of the stock that backs up the breech of the barrel. The piece is still attached. Should I get some glue in as is and clamp with tape or cut out a plug bigger than the issue and glue in a new piece?View attachment 126477
stop everything and glue and clamp. Dont clamp it so hard it squishes all the glue out. Please take this the right way but I dont think your chisels are sharp enough by the look of the cuts and it looks like you are coating your metal with too much inletting black. Just trying to help

stop everything and glue and clamp. Dont clamp it so hard it squishes all the glue out. Please take this the right way but I dont think your chisels are sharp enough by the look of the cuts and it looks like you are coating your metal with too much inletting black. Just trying to help
There are probably videos on youtube how to sharpen them

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to stop until I figure out how to sharpen my chisels. I've watched several videos and have a guide but I guess I need to watch some more.

you will find it so much more pleasant. i am the worlds worst tool sharpener( just ask the blonde i have lived with for 56 years)
i finally just sucked it up and made sure i did exactly like the experts explained. i even made a 1/8 inch chisel for the thimble tab inlets. when properly sharpened a chisel will take more wood as a scraper then a dull chisel will as a chisel.
another technique of chisel use i had to learn was most precise work is done with the bevel away from the work. i always figured i would "chisel" out a gob of wood.
in stock making you sometimes are taking shavings as thin or thinner than a hair. done that way when completed the pride in the job is immeasurable.
CB from down under is absolutely correct about the cuts. but you will find that accidental cuts of your self and the work is greatly diminished with a sharp edge. i am working a piece of the hardest maple i ever did right now. when i make a cut the scar shines like glass, and so does the shaving. beauty to behold.

Last edited:
I recently completed my first rifle....A Kibler, so I didnt have much chisel work. Even just with that, I quickly realized my then current chisels were not up to the task, despite sharpening. I luckily got by, but new quality chisels are on my very short "need" list.

One thing to keep in mind on the glue. Titebond II will not show if you happen to get some glue that oozzes out around your repair. However Titebond III leaves a grayish lookin color when it cures.
Just my 2 cents worth….

I'm building my first kit and I'd like some opinions on how to fix an issue. I've split a chunk of the stock that backs up the breech of the barrel. The piece is still attached. Should I get some glue in as is and clamp with tape or cut out a plug bigger than the issue and glue in a new piece?View attachment 126477
Anytime one gets a hinge like that, stop immediately and glue it back. If one doesnt and it breaks off it's hard to get it back looking normal.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is to get you some surgical tubing. Its great stuff to use on cracked stocks, chip outs, etc. You can wrap it tightly and it forms to the contours where a clamp us sometimes very difficult to tighten up in the area that you are repairing. Also the tubing leaves no marks and can be tightly wrapped. Have used it for years in making necessary repairs. One place that has it available is Menard’s, it’s in the plumbing section.

Back