• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Pedersoli Express rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacobillie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to a gun show this past weekend and saw some Pedersoli Express rifles. Does anyone here have experience with them? If so, would you please share that experience?

These rifles look like they are very well made, but have me wondering just how well regulated the two barrels are. Since there is only one set of sights, both barrels must shoot to the same POI, or else, it is just an expensive mantle ornament.

How well they are regulated depends on when they were made. Some of the earlier ones were not all that well regulated. The later models saw some improvement but none are spot on. It is a very expensive task to get two barrels precisely regulated. That is why some of the old English made double rifles made for African game hunting cost into the tens of thousands of dollars. Some people made the mistake of attempting to put a scope on a Kodiak Express rifle and that is a waste of time because at the distances at which you need a scope, the barrels will be shooting several inches apart. Actually, any muzzleloading rifle is best at ranges of under 100 yards so unless you have a serious eye problem that precludes the use of open sights, a scope is a ridiculous orniment on a muzzleloader. I have a Kodiak Express rifle and if I use the sights as intended, they will be pretty close at about 50 yards. At 100 yards, they are about 6 inches apart and at 25 yards they are a couple inches. I know it seems strange that the balls start out side by side at about an inch apart, then are about 2 inches apart at 25 yards and 6 inches at 100 yards. But that is the way it shoots. Mine is plenty good enough to take deer out to my limit of 100 yards. It will shoot either patched round balls, R.E.A.L. bullets and T/C Maxi Balls but will not shoot saboted bullets. The saboted bullets are good only for inline rifles because of their fast twist rates. For deer hunting, I think I'd stick to a well placed shot from a single barrel rifle such as a .50 or .54 Lymon Great Plains Rifle. But if you are hunting hogs where the shots will be at relatively close ranges of usually less than 50 yards and a fast second shot would be handy as pockets on a shirt, you would be hard put to find a better rifle than a Kodiak Express rifle.

BTW, I have a .50 Kodiak Express and I no longer hunt hogs so it is for sale for $595 plus shipping. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Bill

If you refer to Pedersoli's Kodiak muzzleloading double rifles, I have owned three, presently owning two.
Pedersoli offers two (perhaps three??) distinct quality levels of Kodiaks. My first was a lower quality (chemically colored, semipistol grip, utility wood, etc.) .58-caliber rifle. The rifle shot 625-grain bullets with astonishing accuracy and surprising non-futzing regulation. While well made in terms of value for the money, trigger action was terrible and fit of wood-to-metal was marginal.

Were I not enmeshed in the "no substitute for cubic inches" universe and the overall length less, I would still own the rifle.

My next two rifles have been Kodiak Safari high grades, .72-caliber, straight grip, silvered locks, much better wood and assembly - that is, well worth the additional cost of higher grade. I have used one of the rifles, the other being N.I.B. as "back-up." Again, the rifle shooting my custom 775-grain bullets was astonishing accurate and consistent out of the box. Brutal recoil that bruised my shoulder from clavicle to beneath my elbow force me to have work done. Boy, I'm glad I did. The rifle is more attractive; recoil is acceptable; much better sights allowed me to regulate the rifle. From a bench unsupported, right-left (I always shoot in this sequence) obtains cloverleaf at 50 yards and three-inch group at 85 yards. I have not fired at longer distances - yet.

My biggest concern with the Safari was the previously mentioned recoil forcing the second barrel's bullet dangerously forward. My custom bullets were designed to obviate the problem. My verification procedure totaled 40 shots (and two clearing shots) where one barrel remained loaded and unfired while the other was fired 20 times with a more severe load than my regulated one. I measured bullet's location with loading rod after each shot. No movement. That was that.

Regarding quality control, remember the N.I.B. rifle in my safe? I haven't touched it. And its reason for existence is invalid. The Safari I used ain't gonna have problems. I'm convinced of that after two years of service. So the back-up is disposable.
Reverting to several years ago, would I buy a Kodiak again? Since Montana's special restrictions hunting seasons allow two-shot muzzleloaders and Montana otherwise has no muzzleloading big game seasons, I would buy a higher grade Safari in a New York minute.

Hope this helps.

They are not light-weights, especially in the smaller calibers. As said, regulating double guns is an art and part of why they cost so much. Even then, when you buy a regulated cartridge gun, you are usually given one or two loads that the gun is regulated to. Change the loads and you may or may not print to the same point. So, especially with a muzzle loader where the variables are many, true regulation might be kind of like chasing your tail. As to the off-barrel's load working free, that is not so much a problem if you be sure to re-seat the load after firing the other barrel or shooting the off barrel next. That is, don't shoot, say, the right barrel several times in a row like you are favoring it. If so, re-seat the left. That also seems to be the general rule when shooting round balls from double barrel shotguns.

i had one. it was from trail guns aurmory in tx. they were the first. it wieghed ten ponds was to heavy for me and recoil was bad due to a shoulder injury. traded it off . the guy was my car mech. he loves it got both barrels dead on at 50 yds with 575 rd. it groups at 3 1/2 at 75.

As to the off-barrel's load working free, that is not so much a problem if you be sure to re-seat the load after firing the other barrel or shooting the off barrel next. That is, don't shoot, say, the right barrel several times in a row like you are favoring it. If so, re-seat the left. That also seems to be the general rule when shooting round balls from double barrel shotguns.

That is my issue with them, whether it be dbl rifle or shotgun. So much fuss and bother, to me, a standard single barrel would almost be more efficient. And, if one forgets to re-seat you have a poetentially serious safety issue.

:v I have a .72 Cal Express and have never had a problem with the seated PRb in the unfired barrel moving off the powder and I shoot fairly heavy loads(140 grs FFg) with a tightly patched .715" ball. The key word is tightly patched. I always recheck the unfired barrel to ensure it is seated, when I reload the fired barrel after removing the cap from the unfired barrel. While reloading I keep the ram-rod in the unfired to barrel to remind myself where not to put the powder and PRb that Iam loading.
I always complained about the weight until I weighed it found it to be at 10 Lbs. empty, I have several single barrel rifles that feel lighter but are indeed heavier by a couple of pounds. A matter of balance perhaps.
I have found my Express to be very accurate likely exceeds my capabilities most days. Never had a mechanical or firing problem. I hunt and shoot in the rain alot more than I would like.
Have fun! :v

Latest posts

Back