• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Only 28 Days to Turkey opener here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Hoping to repeat last spring’s hunt with a PRB out of my .54cal Early Virginia Smoothbore.

Ours opened today an of course its raining. I have killed quite a few in the rain but that was when I was young an full of %&#! an vinegar. I will just wait on some sun which should be here sunday. Good luck RB and everybody else :thumbsup:

Didn't know you could turkey hunt with round ball in North Carolina. In Missouri, you have to use shot and nothing bigger than #4.

That's some fine shootin'!

Darren Haverstick said:
Didn't know you could turkey hunt with round ball in North Carolina.
The only restrictions for Turkey are:
1) Cannot use a RIFLE;
2) A shotgun / smoothbore cannot be larger than 10ga.
3) There are no restrictions on projectiles.

Kinda hoping for the same thing!

68930BCA-AF3F-44E7-BE7D-BD6F068A713A_zps7bog3s9i.jpg
[/URL][/img]

what sort of damage will that ball do?....with a group like that would you not try a head shot?
good shootin' and hears to a tom stepin' out in front of you!
CHEERS! :thumbsup:

hawk 2 said:
what sort of damage will that ball do?....with a group like that would you not try a head shot?
My ego isn't big enough to try a head shot under low light hunting conditions in the woods, LOL.
So far, I only used my 28ga smoothbore with a PRB on a longbeard just last spring...when he turned away from me and dropped his fan, I slipped the ball in from behind at the base of his fan, it exited right beside the beard root, collapsed where he stood. Gave it to a needy family so I can't speak to the damage.

But IMO...regarding a broadside on a turkey and its body only being few inches wide (all the feathers are mis-leading) I can't imagine much expansion.
Plus, on the assumption that most folks just use the breast...(and possibly the drumsticks)...I doubt a broadside pass-through would be an issue regardless, just make a mess of the vitals.

My .02 cents of course

The only restrictions for Turkey are:
1) Cannot use a RIFLE;
2) A shotgun / smoothbore cannot be larger than 10ga.
3) There are no restrictions on projectiles.

Hmmm :hmm: I'm gonna check out Michigans law. I've got a .54 smoothbore made by Jack Hubbard. It'd be a new challenge to take a longbeard with a ball. Thanks Roundball

Well I just checked the Michigan Reg's and #4 shot or smaller is what you have to use in a smoothbore... :(

NWTF Longhunter said:
It'd be a new challenge to take a longbeard with a ball.
That's what drove me to investigate it. Initially I was focused on learning the basics of turkey hunting and taking them with some different Flintlock smoothbores, different barrels / chokes or not, different shot sizes, etc, for a few years.
Then in the interest of taking as many types of game like the settlers did, but knowing I couldn't use a rifle, I set about seeing if I could get it done with the next closest thing...my 28ga smoothbore.
Verified those 3 regs (up above) in writing with the wildlife department and have copies of their official written / Email reply printed off / laminated in my vest and vehicle...was very satisfied to tag one last spring with the PRB out of the Early Virginia.

Shot sizes 2-9 here in Kansass for Spring turkeys.
Too bad as I have a handy little 54 cal smoothbore that would be great for turkey.

Darren Haverstick said:
Didn't know you could turkey hunt with round ball in North Carolina. In Missouri, you have to use shot and nothing bigger than #4.

Tennessee laws are the same, 10ga or smaller using #4 lead shot or smaller. Rifles, air rifles and round balls are illegal.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back